Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Thursday 25 May 2017

How to Die Cut Outside an Image - 3D Stamping - Inspired by Stamping GDT

{for WOYWW 8 post, please scroll down, or Click Here thank you.๐Ÿ˜Š}

Hi there, everyone - here I am honoured indeed to be back with my second GDT for Inspired By Stamping for May!
Had such great fun making this card, using two of Joanna's gorgeous stamp sets - Australian Nature 1 and Just for You.
Started by stamping the stunning forest kingfisher. You don't see them around here in NSW but in far north Qld.
Used black onyx Versafine on small piece of natural parchment cardstock, its a good paper to colour. I'm an old fashioned stamper, I learnt stamping with embossing, so that's what I nearly always do. Stamped two as going to 3D the image. Do love dimension on a card.
TIP: How to cut outside an image with a die
On the base piece I cut around the tip part of the beak on the bird to lift it over edge of Fancy Labels 3 Die . For further posts on how to cut outside an image with die cut see here. 

This means it won't be cut through when you run it through the Cuttlebug. As 3D would overlay it, didn't really need to do this - but it does mean beak tip has extra strength of double layer. You can see how I cut it on the back of die cut. I just add tape on back these cuts, so as to keep it unnoticeable.
 Checked out online colours of Forest Kingfisher before colouring. With its proper name under it, I had to get it right, plus it was a card for a birdlover.
Next shaded around the die cut whilst still in die, with brushes and Distress inks (Tumbled Glass, Stormy Sky).
  
Tested selected colours of Tombow pens on base image, before colouring second image.
Cut carefully around external and internal lines of second image, with fine scissors, use embossed edges as a guide.
**If you cut into sections of the image when layering, you can get away with just one extra image for 3D work, but most folks I know do up to four stamped images for layering.
This is the lazy (easier) way + less bulk and weight! ๐Ÿ˜‰
**Shape the image with shaping tools on foam shaping mat.
**Adhere 3D image with dots of 3D silicone adhesive. Put aside to dry.
Next ink well top half of embossing folder (Sue Wilson Pinpoint 5.75" x 7.5" Embossing Folder - Ocean Waves) with Memento inks, Bahama blue, Teal Zeal, Paris Dusk, as this bird is often seen beside rainforest streams thought water EF was suitable. Sprayed it also with Imagine Crafts Frosted Sheer Shimmer Mist.
Inked in Mini Misti the greeting which matches "Just for you" "...on your birthday". Used Cobalt Versafine for this + the Just for You Greeting, heat embossed with clear Embossing powder.
Used Fiskars medium round corner punch on corner of embossing folder piece, edged it in navy card, and around the Fancy Labels 3 diecut. Popped it up on foam tape and attached to left of pre-stamped in Cobalt Versafine ink greeting. Hand cut a flag shape for the ".. On Your Birthday".
 
The dimension on the image can be seen with this shot. Even though there is some dimension, it's still a standard card here, weight + thickness pass for regular post. The 3D glue gives image extra support.
Hope you enjoyed seeing how this card was made. I loved it, and thoroughly enjoyed working with Joanna's high quality, clear stamp sets and dies. I really want to thank her very much for the honour of being one of her monthly Guest Design Artists.
Thanks so much for popping over and please say hi so I know you've been by,
Shaz in Oz.x

PS would appreciate it very much, if you are able to comment on the GDT post, please.. time permitting. Thank you.  https://joannamunster.com/blog-2/

SUPPLIES USED:
1. Inspired By Stamping Australian Nature 1 Stamps.
2. Inspired By Stamping Just for You Stamps
3. Inspired By Stamping Fancy Labels 3 Die .
Other Supplies:
Versafine Inks – Black Onyx and Cobalt, Clear Embossing Powder, Embossing anti-static pad. Regal Natural Parchment Cardstock, lightweight 170gsm for die cut + heavy weight 300gsm for card base.
Mini Misti, Tombow Markers, Embossing tools + foam embossing mat, fine scissors, Cuttlebug.
Inkylicious Ink dusters, Distress Inks (Tumbled Glass, Stormy Sky), Memento inks -Bahama Blue, Teal Zeal, Paris Dusk, Imagine Crafts Frosted Sheer Shimmer Mist, Sue Wilson Pinpoint 5.75" x 7.5" Embossing Folder - Ocean Waves, Fiskars medium round corner punch.
Double sided mounting tape, Ranger Multi Matte Medium glue, 3D clear Gel adhesive.

Linking card over to:

1. Word Art Wednesday - anything goes  http://wordartwednesday.blogspot.com.au/


22 comments:

Berina RGA said...

Wow!! Such a beautiful card Shaz! Love the colors you have used. Beautiful coloring on the kingfisher. I love this stamp set, one of my favorites :)

Betsy said...

Such a beautiful card that I know will be loved by th recipient. The detail is amazing. May our Lord bless you my dear sister.
Blessings,
Betsy

Natalie said...

Gorgeous bird! You've given excellent instructions for the diecutting. Thank you Shaz for being so consistent in sharing your beautiful work at Word Art Wednesday. It's a blessing to us!!

Lindart said...

Love this card and tutorial! I love how the beak is going outside the frame! Lindart

brenda said...

Another lovely creation Shaz, great to see you again at Allsorts 8th Birthday celebrations, thank you so much for joining in.

B x

Dorlene Durham said...

Love that bird and your coloring is great.

Conniecrafter said...

Beautiful, love all the techniques, I never did have success using a die by cutting it out that way, always seem to cut to far, but only really tried it once, maybe it is time to try again :) you did a great job on coloring the bird and giving it dimension!

Nikki said...

Such a lovely card thanks for the walk through and happy woyww #8 and I have a blog Badge for it on my blog hugs Nikki last place

susiestacey said...

Beautiful card, love the bird image and so beautifully coloured.
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts 8th Birthday challenge and good luck x Susan x

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Shaz what a beautiful card - love your embossed background - I too emboss a lot of my images :-)
BLessings
Maxine

SewPaperPaint said...

Really beautiful image and card! Hugs, Autumn

Cardarian said...

Hi Shaz!

I have tried to send an email to your contact link you have sent me but does it does not work! Here is my email address - doloresdotkerecatgmaildotcom - send me an email and I will get back to you!
Love and hugs,
Cardarian

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Shaz. I'm on catch-up this week just been crazy busy. Happy woyww anniversary. Have a great weekend, Angela x17x

loz said...

Gorgeous card Shaz. Thanks for the tutorial on how you cut this out. I will have to give this a try..loz

Anne said...

I love your card and the techniques you showcased, thank you! That embossing folder is beautiful and I love the Aussie stamps! Bravo mon amie! xx

Ellibelle said...

Loving the card, great tutorial!
Many thanks for joining us in our birthday challenge at Allsorts!

sharon said...

WOW!!!! this is gorgeous!.
I must try inking up a embossing folder, I have never been game enough to do it although you make is look so easy.
You have a wonderful collection of stamps which I am sure that have built up over many years.
Have a wonderful weekend.
hugs
sharon :)

Cobnut Crafter said...

I love this card and your colouring. I was particularly fascinated by the colours of the Forest Kingfisher as it is so different to the orange and turquoise colouring of the little fellows we find here in the UK. I was also intriqued to see that you had used the same embossing folder as I had included in my last blog post - it is lovely to see the way you have picked out the raised areas with colour. Super card! x

Pia S said...

I like all the different shades of blue used, so pretty with this bird.

Brenda said...

Your bird card is just beautiful Sharon! I love that sweet bird and I love that you colored him up as he should be. Makes for one beautiful birthday card! Hugs, Brenda

Marilyn Mathis said...

Beautiful card. I love blue and love the background stamp. Hugs.

Kellie 0:) said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! I love how you have coloured your kingfisher and the inked embossing folder looks awesome. Waving to you from Central Coast NSW

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...