Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Wednesday 12 January 2011

What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday 84

Well this will be my very first post on the WOYWW challenge and thought I would join the fun today as have been playing with two new items and thought I would share a little about them.
In today’s mail from US came my anxiously awaited Cuttlebug Plus and have I been excited by them, they are beautiful! You can see one of them (I bought two) on my rather tidy desk (no! that is not usual). It is just that yesterday was a major clean up, and now I can’t find my Stardream papers… looking hard, and guess they are in a safe place!

The Elusive Image Stamps are my one and only which I bought off a UK eBay site. Love them, they colour beautifully, and so thought would use them for the 60th card I have to do and when  the Brocade widow folder came today thought I would try them together. I have a few words to say on these folders.
All the You-tube videos I watched said the Cuttlebug sandwich is A+B folder& card+ B plates. However there is no way it was going to go through my Cuttlebug, and yes! I did take the backing card off it (as on one site they said this is the issue).
I discovered the best thing for my machine is A plate + two shims (one thick one thin), and C plate worked for my machine. My advice is to try it out for your machine. And also you do not need the large plates which some sites (mainly Provo craft) say you need for these extra large folders.
They work perfectly for your standard plates, which are slightly larger than the folder. I then lifted the back flap on the folder and used foam to highlight the raised embossing with the White Chalk ink pad…lovely and fun!
What do you think?
Oh, and to find out what WOYWW is and to join in the fun, drop by Julia's Stamping Ground!   Happy WOYWW, everyone!
P.S.

Thought I would update with a pickie of how the card looked finished..so here 'tis, plus a close up of details.
   It looks almost velvet-like with the white chalk ink on top of the Elegant Eggplant paper by Stamping up, I edged with with black card and Lively Lavender (Stamping Up) on white linen cardstock to finish. I used a ribbon in same colour to attach the Nellie Snellen ribbon tag, and few pearls to adorn. There are actually spots like empty holes (indents) in the folders so looks like you are meant to put bling of some sort there!

39 comments:

Sheila said...

Ooh the cuttlebug is so cute. I have a big shot, so the mechanism are probably similar, but not the same.

Marjo said...

Don't you just love your cuttlebug! Cards look fantastic.

Thanks for the peek and sharing, hugs Marjo #23 Happy WOYWW

Minxy said...

The card is ace, loving the embossing :D
Happy Wednesday
Minxy #2

Sue said...

Hi ya
welcome to the fun, gorgeous cards, lovely stamps, happy playing,happy WOYWW, sue,x (25)

Kim Dellow said...

Fab peek at creativity in action! Thanks! Kim

Helen said...

The stamps and embossing folder go really well together.
Welcome to WOYWW!
Helen#64

Pam said...

FAb cards. Hugs pam x

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Thanks everyone.. yes Marjo I do love my Cuttlebug ..so cute, Sheila, you are right, but still very versatile.. and love all your blogs too have checked them out as well. Shaz in oz.x
PS say a prayer for all the flooded folk up north of here..in Qld 2/3 under water! and parts of NSW

okienurse said...

I love to emboss my card stock but every time it is is a lesson in patience. Depending on the card stock brand you end up having to use this plate or that shim! Nice cards!

sandra de said...

Hello Shaz, lovely to spot another from Oz. Woyww is such fun but highly addictive. Your card is beautiful and I will have to take a closer look at that embossing folder, the detail is lovely. I got a bug late in 2010 and just love it.
sandra

Tertia said...

Welcome to WOYWW, be careful, its addictive! So nice to have new stash to play with.
See, thats why I don't clean my craftroom, things go missing when you do!
Tertia 93

JoZart Designs said...

Welcome to WOYWW and great to hear your views and experiments on those folders. Lovely card as a result. Have fun and see you next week, if not before!
joZarty x

Zue said...

You will love the Cuttlebug,I got my original one three years ago and they are fantastic for embossing as I think you have found out.
Sue xx 67

Wiccababe said...

not seen these folders, will have to go for a nosey
nice to meet you
Debz
x

donnalouiserodgers said...

the only person in the whole world that I know does not have a cuttle bug is Amy - she has a sad life you know...
nice to see yours out and put to good use

dx ( 40)

Glenda said...

Love your cuttlebug! Couldn't live without mine!

Nicky said...

Welcome to WOYWW be warned its addictive - stunning card you have made - I have just got into embossing with folders its great fun ~ Nicky 45

peggy aplSEEDS said...

that's beautiful card with a lovely embossed design! welcome to WOYWW!

Pam said...

OH YES! And are you ever all ready to rock and roll in 2011! Best of the New Year from #16!

Eileen said...

That is beautiful .... what's the other folder you have? I have not seen these ....gonna buy when do !! Super card. Thanks for the sandwich info xxx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

I bought them from US on eBay as they are far too dear here and bid on them at Christmas eve so the price was low I was blessed the other one was the labels in this Cuttlebug plus and it is gorgeous too yet to try properly..should have put it on the desk too! thanks, Eileen! Shaz.xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Shaz, welcome to WOYWW and I hope you're staying dry and your family is safe, the devastation in QLD is terrible. I've had my Bug for just a year and I found that I could do almost nothing with it but emboss for the first six or seven months as it was so tight. I googled about it and found lots of people with the same issue and the advice was that it would loosen a bit with use, and it has, I can now use small dies. When I first got it the embossing folders would cut right through the paper! It's brilliant now.

Beautiful card for your friend.

Hugs
Brenda 99

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

That is a lovely card, Shaz, one to be really proud of. I have just had a nice parcel delivered (two actually) one with the wild bird seed I had ordered before Christmas, and my brand new wonderful Ottlite. The light certainly is so true, can't wait to get it up to my craft room to play.

Sunshine Girl said...

Oooh great cards there - I have a big shot and am a fan of anything diecut or embossed. Thanks for sharing. No. 29.

Mrs A. said...

Cards have turned out beautifully. I have a headache now just trying to keep up with a and b plates and which sanwhich to use. I have a big shot thankfully and just wring it thru like a mangle. (Havn't broken anything yet so must be doing something right.Lol.
Hugs Mrs A. (now in as #93) Numbers have all changed around.

Scrapcat 1 said...

Oh I am so jealous I have been eyeing these folders and now I NEED them, love the card so elegant

Sarah said...

Your card looks stunning

RosA said...

That purple card is SO beautiful! I love my Cuttlebug too! (Who wouldn't?)

karen said...

Congrats on the new CuttleBugs! It is a great tool and very versatile!
Your card is gorgeous! The purple is beautiful and I think you are right, the pearls fit in there perfectly! The folder you used is so pretty!
Happy WOYWW! See you next week! And the week after! and so on, and so on....
xoxo Karen

HarmonySweetpea said...

I don't know the first thing about stamping but wow, the card looks amazing. It's my 2nd WOYWW and I'm an Aussie too. How's things up your way? Its a bit wet here in Ipswich but thankfully I was not personally affected.

Looking forward to following your future posts!

Leonie said...

Happy first WOYWW!
thankyou for sharing and show us your beautiful work.
looking forward to seeing more
xxfairy leonie- fellow aussie western australia

Ali said...

Oooh the card is lovely! Fantastic effect you've achieved by inking with white over the embossed paper in that lovely deep colour... it looks really luxurious!

Thanks for sharing.

Ali #77

MadeByKarla said...

ooh! that card is beautiful! your desk looks very creative :)

Karla
http://madebykarla10.blogspot.com/

Dee said...

Lovely card, it is a very elegant die cut and the paper and colours make it look regal. You know how we have fads on things, well mine at the moment is die cutting, I love it there are so many shapes and designs to choose from, I would love the new caliber to make the grand nesties, but alas, money won't stretch at moment, I'll await my birthday....

Sarn said...

Great card. Love my Bug to bits and is my most MUST HAVE item for crafting.

Joanne said...

Hi Shaz...I got my Cuttlebug in early Aug. of 2010 and ordered this die in Sept. but when I followed the sandwich instructions it wouldn't go through my bug...and so the die has been sitting in a drawer because I was too new at this to try using shims...I forgot all about it!!! Thank you soooo much for posting your "sandwich" I will give it a try
and hopefully will have a card perfected for a wedding in the near future.
Hope you and your family are not affected by the terrible flooding.

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Mm, Jojo! I am very thankful we were fine and all my friends and family although I do know some who were... so many in fact.
Quite frankly I think Cuttlebug are very re-miss in the instructions and pray it works just fine for you.
Play around with your shims, as that is the secret every machine is different. I tried to go not your blog to answer this for you but could not find a link,
God bless,
Shaz in oz.x.

Dee said...

Hi Shaz, thanks for all your lovely comments you have left on my blog, they're so gratefully appreciated. Dee xx

Babs said...

Love this card Shaz...just beautiful! My Cuttlebug is definitely one tool I would not want to be without. I don't have any of the bigger folders yet, but plan on getting a couple soon. Seems like the ones I like are always sold out. I'm your newest follower. Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. Have a super nice day,
Luv, Babs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...