Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Wednesday 21 August 2019

Stencilled Oxides and Butterfly Challenge + WOYWW

Hi there everyone, yes, it’s Desk Day.. time for Julia’s WOYWW or What is on Your Workdesk Wednesday over HERE!! ๐Ÿ˜Š
My Desk this morning is a tad out of kilter. That’s base of desk lamp - a dying breed of fluoro desk lamps from 1970’s. Dad used it for painting or for working by, in craft room many years and much used before at other desks. Yesterday it went to the light shop, as it had suddenly gone kupput! 
The man chuckled when he saw it was being held together by sticky tape, quite literally. I’d taken it five years ago to another friend who had repairs business, but since retired, and he mended it ๐Ÿ˜† taping the piece holding connectors together. Anyway light shop-man duly repaired it with same method and sold me new globe and told me to bring it back if any issues. Just for record he sells lights not repair them, but he knew dad well as he was his framer of his paintings for years in previous business. 
I am working on card but can’t share, sorry, till late this month. My desk monkeys with WOYWW badges sit on lamp base at far rear right of my desk, usually out of view. Need to put them all back that’s my first WOYWW PiF from Jozarty, + the cross in my pocket she made me. Also a dumfing from Jo from 2015.๐Ÿ˜Š
This is the card I was working on last week (on last week’s desk below or Here! shows it being inked). I really love it, the Oxides give it such pop and blend well, used Darkroom Door Stamp, and Hero Arts praying for you set for stamped greeting. Mrs A’s Butterfly Challenge, has letter J for Juicy Orange, Jade Green, Jasmine, Jute, Jewels, Joy fold, but will stick to colours with butterflies. 
Both stamped pieces + base with sponged Oxides on TH Dot stencil were all snippets. White card base was not, yay! so off to the Snippets playground!
Now to my Aussie photos, you can skip these if you like, from someone travelling across Oz. Commentary as follows:
Can certainly see why this at Kalgoorlie is called the superpit... the mining vehicles have to be seen to be believed.
In it’s heyday there were 93 hotels and 20 breweries ๐Ÿ˜ณ in Kalgoorlie (big gold mining town). There are around 20 hotels now and some are being or have been restored to their former glory.
Gwalia which is a former gold-mining town just out of Leonora. Today, Gwalia is essentially a ghost town, having been largely deserted since the main source of employment, the Sons of Gwalia gold mine, closed in 1963.
There is a museum open and also Hoover House which serves a great afternoon tea on it’s veranda. This is a beautiful home, a mansion in its era. It cost 6 times the average house of the time. Herbert Hoover who was the mine manager at the time later became the 31st president of the United States.
This photo is bit out of order but so pretty - between Sandstone and Mt Magnet.
This map of Australia shows what a journey across the centre would look ... certainly not as crow flies!
From Wikipedia: “The distance between the east and west as the crow flies is 4,030 km (2,500 mi), or 3,685 km (2,290 mi) from north to south.”
Well, that’s it for me today, was better last week in commenting but not good enough! Hope to do everyone, God willing, this week.
 I’m working through a new mobile. Nearly all info transferred over, been a learning curve using its new features. Old faithful mobile keeps shutting down, that’s sure sign it’s in way out. Do blog posts + all photos on my mobile devices these days, + all commenting! Hence issues with some website settings.
Happy WOYWW everyone, and may God bless your day wherever you maybe. Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz.x.
Thought for today:
Yesterday I was praying with a friend, by phone, She is having a rough time, and as we prayed, she prayed this verse. It was so apt for her situation that thought I’d share it here, that it may bless you also, in any storm we do need a shelter.
In the storms of life we can be sure the Lord Jesus will be there for us IF we but seek Him! 
He alone can still the wind and waves and say: “ Peace! Be still!”
Thank you Lord Jesus.
Linking up with:

23 comments:

Helen said...

I have a new mobile too, luckily the shop transferred all my data but I am also getting used to it... I love the finished card you were working on last week, and glad that your light has been repaired, and can continue to give you good service! Great Aus shots. Helen #4

Sarah Brennan said...

Glad you managed to get the lamp repaired especially as it has been in the family for so long. I can imagine the size of the mining vehicles, we visited an open cast coal mine in Canada many years ago and the trucks had to be seen to be believed. Love the finished card. The Oxides blend so beautifully. Happy WOYWW Shaz. Sarah #6

glitterandglue said...

Morning Shaz. Amazing Aussie shots - what a trip! I'm about to get a new mobile - and it will be scary as I have always had a windows phone and this one will be android. I'm going to get it in time to take it to my son in law and grandson to sort for me!!! Hoping the lamp gives continued great service.
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #5

Neet said...

I love the names of the places in Australia - Kalgoorlie and Gwalia being two I had never heard about until today. I almost hear the Australian pronunciation as I say them in my head. Gosh that pit - it is amazing! Thanks for sharing everything.
Your card is lovely and I thought it was a Magenta image when I saw it as I have some that are similar. So useful as I cut up the little squares sometimes and re-arrange them into different patterns. Love the colours you have used.
Well, the verse your friend used is wonderful, so appropriate for me at the moment - thank you. God works in a mysterious way and I think this was meant to be.
God Bless - Hugs, Neet 10 xx

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Thank you for my ATC!! It finally got here, thanks to Jo for sending it on. It's really lovely Shaz, thank you for thinking of me. I'm so pleased you got the lamp fixed - a very popular show in the BBC at the moment is The Repair Shop where people take all sorts of items in and a team of restorers fix them, it's really good to watch!
Hugs LLJ 7 xxx

kiwimeskreations said...

What a wonderful man to once again repair your lamp to keep it going! God is good.
Love that card - those blended inks are beautiful
I have been enjoying the Aussie photos - I am sure that once you get used to it you will appreciate the newer features on the phone. Thank you for your comments on my posts
Blessings
Maxine

Glenda said...

I'm so glad you were able to have your lamp fixed. It's always hard to give up an old friend! I do love your photos of the land there. Such beauty everywhere!
Glenda #15

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

I do love your card Shaz - and I think I might have to steal your idea with the desk monkeys! The superpit looks awesome and scary at the same time! Amazing photo either way! Have a lovely week - zsuzsa #14

Lillianb said...

Happy WOYWDW Loving your card, I have that set and use them a lot,

Lilian B #12

Marit said...

Some things are just too 'treasured' to give up on...like lamps. I have some of these things (clothes with holes!) that I cannot get myself to throw away... maybe I will alter/reuse it in some sort of journal one day. Happy woyww and a big hug from Holland! Marit #17

Lindart said...

Hi Shaz! I had to laugh about your lamp story, mu hubby is the first to slap a band-aid on things and call it "fixed"! There's always something! Our tap in the bathtub drips, probably just needs a washer, but for the last 18 years it has had a washcloth wrapped around it's base to soak up the water...if I want things fixed properly I have to initiate the process myself. That is how I got our screen door handle fixed. It had been broken for a few years, and I kept waiting for him to replace it...nope. So I went and bought a replacement and started to install it - he had to finish! Anyway, your butterfly card is beautiful! And your trip across Australia looks long, but also beautiful! Have a great week, Lindart #21

Betsy said...

Good morning dear Shaz. Such a wonderful post today. I smiled as I read the story of your lamp base. Obviously the gentleman who repaired it realizes just how much it means to you to use the same lamp as your Dad. I'm glad he was able to get it into working order once again.
The trip across Australia both looks and sounds amazing. That pit!!! I just watched a video regarding a similar pit in the United States. The way they are built amaze me. I would be so afraid of the walls caving in. When you see how big those trucks are and see how tiny they look in the pit, you certainly realize just how huge it actually is.
The verse you shared is exactly what I needed today. I'm waiting on an MRI of my head that is scheduled for next Wednesday. I have been having horrible headaches and the unknown keeps testing my will to remain calm.
Take care my dear sister.
Blessings,
Betsy

Caro said...

So glad that the lamp is still working after all this time - how special. The trip across Australia looks incredible- definitely on my bucket list for one day. Love the verse you shared and the beautiful card. Have a lovely week. With Love & God Bless, Caro x (#8)

Mrs A. said...

They certainly don’t make things to last any more. Items in the past were made to endure and be mended again and again and again. Glad you were able to get your lamp sorted. Sorry you missed the decline for the letter J but you have a whole fortnight for K. Hugs Mrs A.

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

So glad you can use your dad's lamp! That man has been so kind to repair it!! Old things are the best especially when they are full of sweet memories! :)
Beautiful card, those butterflies stamps are so lovely as well your ink blend.
Stunning photos of Australia!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Shaz, my monkeys are waving to yours. I cannot see any sense in buying new stuff if the old ones still work and not only that but the new ones aren't always as good. The only problem with this is that I have lots of stuff that I just can't let go. Great pics too. Have a lovely week and a very happy woyww, Angela x13x

loz said...

Beautiful card Shaz. You must really love your fathers lamp to go to such lengths to have it repaired. I never realised that herbert Hoover lived an australia.. I have seen the super pit and I believe that a set of tyres for the big truck costs more than a small car Beautiful photos of WA..Loz

EmmaT said...

Gorgeous project, love the butterflies. Lovely to still use your dads lamp and that its been fixed up once again. More amazing photos. Emmax

Twiglet said...

Lovely post Shaz - I had forgotten I made those little stitchy dumflings - time flies doesn't it. The gold mine photo is amazing - just imagine having to drive down into the depths in a big wagon and then heave the ore all the way back up - terrifying! xx Jo

Conniecrafter said...

Wow that mining pit is something else, so sad to see when towns die out, the few mining areas around here they have made into nature parks after they are done with the land, at least something good comes out of it.
I give you a lot of credit for doing everything on your phone, I still use my computer the phone is just to small and I can't type nearly fast enough on my phone like I can a keyboard on the computer.

Elizabeth said...

Hi Shaz, another lovely post. I enjoyed the story about your lamp repairs - my hubby believes in the restorative powers of gaffer tape so he'd be well at home in the light shop :) Love all the photos of the gold mining area and the map depicting what a journey across Australia would be like. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Elizabeth x #18

Di said...

Wonderful snippets card Shaz - and such great photos as always. Gosh that pit is HUGE! And I love the story of how your lamp got fixed. Well done that man!

Hugs

Di xx

Diana Taylor said...

Such an interesting post - I love the card with the Oxides, such fabulous colours and I really love the stamp you used. Great pics of Australia - it's hard to imagine the size of it and the length of time it would take to travel across it. Thanks so much for your visit and your kind wishes - wrist is well on the mend and I can't wait to get the bandages off now - they are sooooo irritating in this warm weather!
Have a great rest of the week,
Hugs, Diana xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...