Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Saturday 2 June 2012

Why does God let Sad Things Happen?

(WOYWW post below this one - sorry! :D)
Recently I heard a very sad story of a friend's nephew, her sister's son of five years, full of life and verve, died tragically one night in a fire on the new property to which they just just moved.

One wonders at such a time, why does God allow such things to happen?

As all too often it occurs, it came up in my reading for the day, from the Daily Bread.
"When the Journey gets Tough:

 In August 2009, Blair and Ronna Martin lost their energetic 9 year old son Matti when he was dragged to his death by a family cow. I met with this family in Alaska, to share in their grief. I know how tough this has been for them.

I also know that they are seeking God's care and comfort for their pain. An observation made by Matti's mom is valuable for anyone walking though one of life's valleys. During one of her down times Ronna was reading 2 Corinthians 1:9 which says the "We should not trust in ourselves but in God who raise the dead." She felt as if Jesus was telling here "Ronna I know the journey is too much for you, and you are bone weary. Do not be ashamed of your exhaustion. Instead see an opportunity to let me take charge of your life."

When the journey gets too tough to navigate, 2 Corinthians 2:19 is reminder we do not travel alone. We have the Help of One Who showed His power in the resurrection, and Who will demonstrate His power again when He raises believing loved ones of all generations to eternal life. "My Strength and Hope have to be in Christ alone", Ronna said. "That's a truth we all need as we travel the journey God has for us.

The storms of life remind us to take shelter
in the loving arms of our Saviour.

~ by Dave Brannon (who incidentally lost his teenage daughter to a car accident when she was 17 years - no doubt that was why he came to this family)".

 So the above, in part, answers the why? We each of us have pain, grief and sorrow in our lives for differing reasons, just as God made us all different.
{I wrote  this verse above, Nahum 1:8 on my leg cast, broken one Christmas, while caring for my ill mother -  and then I asked why? }

Really some things we will never really understand or see clearly the why, this side of eternity. In a person who knows the LORD, it can be to help us grow and as says in 2 Corinthians 1:4  - the comfort wherewith God has comforted us, we can comfort another...maybe by simply being there, as Dave Brannon was and listening. Or if we do not know the Lord yet, it may simply to get our attention, to cause us to seek Him.  

People think it is wrong to seek God when they are in trouble, but this is Satan's lie.
God loves us and wants us to call out to Him. He would never have sent His Son to die on a cross for the sinful world of men and women if He did not care for each and every one of us. 
Human hands lit the fire and let the cow out to the loss of those above, but God did allow it to happen.
His wisdom and His ways are not ours. He longs to know each of us personally, and to grow in this knowledge of Him as Ronna found out.
This is a poem which has always been a great comfort to me. This week I shared it with someone going through a trial in my comment on their blog. God reminded me I had scribbled this post down a month or so ago on piece of paper and not shared it yet.

 The Weaver
 My life is but a weaving between my Lord and me,
I cannot choose the colours; He worketh steadily.

Oftimes He weaveth sorrow, and I in foolish pride,
Forget that he sees the upper and I the underside.

Not ‘till the loom is silent and the shuttles cease to fly,
Shall God unroll the canvas and explain the reason why.

The dark threads are as needful in the Weaver’s skilful hand,
As the threads of gold and silver in the pattern He has planned.

Behind my life the Weaver stands and works His wondrous will,
I leave it in His all- wise hands and trust His perfect skill.
 Author unknown
 I pray for you who are reading this that you will seek the LORD in whatever it is that you are going through. God created us with a free will.
He will answer if we call. He will be that stronghold in the day of trouble - but only if we we ask.
May God bless you in whatever sorrow or hard path you are walking, 

Love  and praying for you in Jesus name,
Shaz in Oz.x

PS do remember this is a very simplified treatment of a very complex subject - and so any questions please
 ask me further via email link on my profile page or comment and ask me to email you.

I also would like to link this over to Word Art Wednesday. I have actually done an illuminated text of the verse, but too long ago to have very good photograph of it, may try and edit it, but suspect it is beyond it.
Also want to enter it in the Little Birdee Blessing Thursday competition too.
The photo of the bird with Bible verse is an Australian bird in my garden called a Noisy Minor - because
they are noisy! but so cute. They nest in the large neighbour's tree  - they love to feed on the flower of this Geisha girl.

7 comments:

Karen Letchworth said...

It was SUCH a blessing to me this morning when I found that you had entered this week's challenge at Word Art Wednesday. I was wanting to share this poem with one of our DT Members (well, really, all of them), and I know it will be a blessing. So THANKS for being an encouragement in the Lord, and for playing along with us in this week's challenge at Word Art Wednesday. I hope you will continue to link up with us each week. We are blessed to hear from your heart and to see the works of your hands. God bless you for sharing!
Hugs,
Karen L
Word Art Wednesday

stampinganja said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! You put it to words so well! Love, Anja

Glenda said...

Reading your post this morning has been a blessing for me! We must remember these words for they are so true. Thanks again!

Victoria said...

The poem is marvellous, thank you so much for sharing it. Such a wonderful comparison to a weaver.

Anonymous said...

Here is my comment for such a wonderful post.

Little Birdie Blessings said...

How tragic for your friend and her family to endure the death of a child. Your words are encouraging and your calligraphy portrays the word of God in such a beautiful way. Thank you for linking this to Scripture Thursday. ~ Abby

Joyce across the Pond said...

Hello my friend - you can picture me sitting here responding to your wonderful post...thanks for sharing that...I have a little poem which portrays just what you have said:-
I took some petals in my hand and held them very tight,
Then I decided to crush them, so did with all my might,
The result was overwhelming, for as I released my grasp,
The perfume was so great it made me gasp,
If I hadn't crushed those petals how could I have possibly known
That very beautiful fragrance from the flowers I had grown,
And what a spiritual lesson came to mind that day
Sometimes God breaks and crushes us in order to have His way,
Then from our broken lives His love will be able to flow
Bringing His beautiful fragrance to all wherever we go.
Blessings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...