Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Wednesday 21 March 2018

Stampscapes Meets Black Ice Technique + WOYWW.

Well, very sorry indeed for lo-o-ooong silence from Downunder. Things have been incredibly busy thus far in 2018, it shows no sign of slowing. Still making cards, just not blogging! (Am sure 2018 is short-changed on its length of each day! Will probably do a whole lot of catch up eventually - so many unshared cards.)
(For WOYWW, as tis
Wednesday, pop over to Julia’s Stamping Ground!)
This Black Ice technique I first heard about over in the playground, (See here!). Guest designer, Kathy of the Purple Princess Diaries shared her card with it and Kathy also linked to this Video here!
Anyways.. I just couldn’t start simple and use a single image, like most others! I mean easy-peasy!!! NO! I just had to jump into the deep end and do this slippery technique as a scene, inking up with Stampscapes. Now a scene with multiple stamps on on slippery sheet of silver is not for the faint-hearted. If I'd not had a cheap source of silver cardstock (bought in poster size sheets for few dollars from the newsagent or cheap shop) I would’ve quit. But thankfully I did have such a source here in Oz ... also this was a special card for my darling dad’s 89th!
So persevering was aim of game!
 Am happy with technique, finally... One thing puzzled me though - why nearly everyone did their cards in funereal colours, black, silver and grey?
Liked the combo, and could see its purpose, but very drab for dad’s birthday.
I was determined to try another colour slant... so took out some stencils, I dry embossed the stencil then inked it up with DI Oxides.
I do like them now, wasn’t sure at first. They’re great on stencils. Also I bought the Distress glaze to seal Oxides. **Unless you want waterproof work, don’t waste pennies. A good hairspray works just as well and to be honest with stencils you don’t get the chalk residue .. or I didn’t with these colours.
Also the glaze needs to be refrigerated if you’re in high temps with humidity like we have at present. I overdosed my piece, sadly, rather a waste. Just polish off excess. I had ordered it before had the hairspray brainwave (at night, as you do)! It’s an excellent sealant.
Inky colours on stencil were Faded Jeans, Blue China and Green Pistachio DI Oxides, mixed and blended. Stencil is Darkroom Door "Mesh", small one but I extended it as wasn’t deep wide enough. (Bugs me the way things are based around US sizes even for Australian product like Darkroom Door. Guess it’s market population.) Used DI sponge applicators, washed the foam out after use - that way you don’t need one for every Ink you own. Nice, VERY! but not practical nor economical.
The next card was for my uncle's 82nd Birthday so used the Penny Black Terraced Lane - one of scene ones. Stamped in Versafine. Used ink dusters + dye inks, happy birthday is again Lawn Fawn, stamped with Versafine.
The piece on the right is a small coke can, FIRST die cut with SB Deckled rectangle die, and then dot EF dry embossed, inked with various Alcohol inks.
Now to the Aussie shots .. not by me, by another very clever family photographer. All are up at Cathedral Rocks - see here!

A Skink above, one of Scale tale lizards. Below a Scarlet Robin.
Gorgeous ... God's creation is quite breathtaking to see!
Thanks so much for popping over for a peek, especially if you stay for a chat!
May God bless your day wherever you maybe!
Shaz in Oz.x 

http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/?p=11899   Road trip - second card - PB Terraced Lane.

33 comments:

Annie said...

Your cards are really gorgeous....so clever. I bed they were loved by all who’s seen them. Love your Aussi photos too. Nature really is wonderful.
Hugs,
Annie x #15

Julia Dunnit said...

Well you’ve got that technique in the bag, it looks fab. Wow. Great tip about the Oxide sealants too. And you touched a nerve about stencil and card size die sizing all being US! Great to see you, hope it’s all good with you, busy is one thing, stressed is another. Xx

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Goodness, I do love those cards - I like the layout very much. As a newbie card maker, I'm taking a lot more notice of people's techniques. Thank you so much for the peel off advice, I shall have a go and I'll have a look at that tutorial, I never thought of looking on YouTube, good advice! And those pics of the countryside are amazing, there's a place in Yorkshire called Brimham Rocks which have similarly weird eroded rocks - like a Troll's garden!
Hugs LLJ 11 xxxx

Megan J said...

Hi Shaz, two stunning cards for your Dad and Uncle, a technique to look at when I'm feeling more adventurous with stamping. Some beautiful local pics, love the little robin. Our lily pillies are in fruit high up on the trees and the satin bower birds have been feasting all day... have a wonderful week... Megan

Sarah Brennan said...

Hi Shaz, what a great technique! I love both the more monotone and the brighter versions. I'll have to look up some of those scenery stamps, they are fab. Have a good week. Sarah #12

glitterandglue said...

Afternoon Shaz. Stunning - simply stunning, Shaz. Well done. Have been over and checked out the technique - looks great, doesn't seem too hard - ha-ha!!! Must try it when I have a few minutes.
Take care lass. God bless.
Margaret #4

Darnell said...

You ace every technique you touch, Shaz! These cards are, simply put, masterpieces! The gentlemen will be awed and touched by the amount of work and love you put into their cards! Awesome photography, too!! Hugs, Darnell

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Shaz, and wow, what a coincidence. I actually came across the Black Ice Technique on You Tube last night, and was instantly taken with it. I was planning on having a go and doing a blog post over the weekend! Great minds, and all that. :) Like you, I wondered if colour could be used as well as just black, and you've answered that for me. You cannot believe how amazed i was to see it here today! Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #5 XxX

lisa said...

Great cards, Shaz. That's a new technique for me. Being thrifty I always find cheap hairspray works brilliantly as a sealer for almost anything and talc for embossing too instead of an anti static bag....no doubt I'll come undone one day, lol
Great photos as always, it's always so lovely to see your beautiful country.
Hugs Lisax #22

Helen said...

I am loving those cards and heading straight off to watch the video and find out how to do it... what an amazing look. thanks for stopping by. I'm sure I'll use the new stamps soon... ! Helen #1

Gibmiss said...

Stunning cards... Fabulous techniques ....
Thanks for joining us at Penny Black Challenge
Hugs Sylvie xx

Betsy said...

Those are beautiful cards Shaz. I don't know the first little thing about card making but these are stunning and look so intricate. You definitely have a gift.
It was so good to see you post today. I know life has kept you very busy, but you've been missed.
May God bless you my dear sister, and keep you healthy and safe.
Blessings,
Betsy

Robyn said...

inspiring as ever- I haven't heard of this techniques- when would I sleep? thanks for the travelog as well! it the best way for me to get around!
Robyn 3

April said...

Love the cards! The background is lovely. Awesome pictures!
April #26

Conniecrafter said...

Wow these are so cool, I love the added colors to them also and great scenes!

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Wow!! Such great effect!! Beautiful and brilliant cards! I didn't known this technique, I will go to look at the tut...! Thanks for sharing and Happy Birthday to your Dad!!
Lovely shot of Australia, too!

Neet said...

Your dad and uncle are so lucky to have such a talented card maker in the family. Bet they save all your cards.
I am full of admiration for your handling of those Scenic stamps too - you and the other Shaz have the technique in the bag.
Off to see the technique for myself with the silver card - I have quite a bit so can have a play at some time - thanks for the link.
Stay safe and thanks for the family photos.
God Bless, Neet 2 xx

Kelly said...

Welcome back, Shaz! Great pictures. I do love lizards. Your black ice cards are gorgeous! I've yet to try this technique. I've been in a bit of hiding myself until a couple of weeks ago. Hoping to give it a go soon. Hope you'll take time to visit us and keep us updated. Creative Blessings! Kelly #25

Kevin said...

Nice! What a great technique!

Di said...

Oh Shaz! What a fabulous card using the Black Ice technique - your scene is perfect and so right for Black Ice. I totally love it and such fun to see you in the Playground again!

Hugs

Di xx

buterfliecrafter said...

Ha, myportion of aussie pics consumed 😊 fab looking card and very brave to dive right in, happy woyww vicky#7

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Loving that technique and great cards too. Late this week as I'm still trying to get back to normal after the trip away. Have a great belated woyww, Angela x17x

loz said...

Amazing cards and scenes Shaz...Beautiful photos also..Loz

Ginny Maxam said...

Hi Shaz, your cards are truly a work of art! I am amazed at your skill and technique! Love them all!
Hugs,
Ginny

Dorlene Durham said...

Shaz, your work is incredible. Love those cards and can’t believe they are handmade. Lovely!! Dorlene #33

kiwimeskreations said...

How wonderful to extend the technique to add some extra colour to the black ice technique Shaz - these cards are amazing!!
BLessings
Maxine
p.s., I know what you mean by the years being so busy and flying by!!

LilArtsyWoman said...

Beautiful...loving the technique...very inspirational.

okienurse said...

Beautiful cards! I loved the technique video but had a hard time following along in spots. Guess I am still having tracking issues post operatively! Life! I was absent most of the winter also but back now! Love the photos! Have a great week. Vickie #6

Craftychris said...

Wow! Both these cards are awesome! The techniques you have used are so cool. Fab photos as always too, thank you! xxx

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

Wow, wow, triple wow! What a fabulous technique! This makes any ordinary image look gallery-worthy and I love how it really highlighted all the details of the central image. Great use of products and a stellar idea. I also loved seeing those photos! Wow! Talent must run in the family and I'm so glad you took the time to share your work with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

sharon said...

Hi Shaz, your scenery is simply stunning.
I think that time is running away with many of us.
It has been so very wet up here and I am trying to catch up on many things.
Not enough hours in the day or days in the week.
Have a fabulous week.
hugs
sharon :)

MaryH said...

Saw your awesome card at the Snippets Playground. Thanks for reminding me about the stampscapes...which I have forgotten to use for so long. Your scenes were beautiful, and I especially loved the more colorful scene using the PB image. Loved your design adding the textured piece to the side of it. The cabin & lake scene is awesome too, and has quite a shimmer to it, which I think keeps it from looking somber. Also the blue background treatments added a lot of brightness as well. TFS the video links and always enjoy seeing the wonderful pictures you share. Loved that bright bird! TFS & Happy Easter. Hugs (life does get quite busy at times doesn't it!And then after all that, we need to be quiet and recharge, at least I do)

Paddington fan said...

Stunning cards Shaz, I'm sure your Dad and Uncle will treasure them! Thank you so much for joining us at PBSC, good luck in the prize draw and I do hope you'll join us again very soon, love Jacky x
PBSC DT

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...