Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Monday 8 November 2010

Enlarging Cuttlebug Folders for Card Backgrounds


This folder pictured is Victoria and I have chosen it for a card I was asked to make for a dear lady’s 60th birthday.
I had chosen this folder because complimented the Fleur de Lise Spellbinder die I was using on the card.
Often we want to make a card larger than the A2 size. As you can see by the picture I have some of the elements of the card assembled for outline planning. If you look at the purple card you cannot see clearly where the two folders are joined.
To explain the steps to to here - I have put the piece of purple cardstock from Stampin Up Subtles through the bug twice. I use the following method when enlarging a folder or changing the general use for a die, etc.
1. Always do a sample first on scrap paper. I made the paper/ cardstock almost the full width of the bug.

IMPORTANT to note: the folder is placed horizontally across the cuttlebug so it is fed through across the length of the folder not vertically through the bug, as you usually do.

2. As you roll it through the bug do it carefully and watching all the way – slowly.

3. Watch through the clear plate "B" till it almost is at the end.
** Don’t** let it go to the “bump feel” as it passes from folder to just paper. This prevents any line mark coming on the card stock.

4. Roll it backwards through the same side you started from in the first place. You do this each time around so there is not a line in the middle from the folder where it ends.

5. Turn the card/ paper around, place the folder so it meets where it finished. Take it through the folder carefully watching again so it comes to the edge almost of the folder. Sometimes you may need to put put it through again because you did not go quite far enough so check carefully first before removing folder.
This will give a folder double size pattern.
With Victoria there is no repeat pattern as there is with some of them - eg. Swiss Dots, Textile do have repeat patterns in them and you can line the patterns up so that there is no pattern lost at all.
I have card to show one day in Textile, so you will see what I mean.
**But again do sample first for trial run and you must feel the Cuttlebug through the motion carefully.
It sounds complicated but the trial run makes it clear whether the folder you are trying will work this way or not. And if you have been using your bug for a while you will already have a good idea of its motion that you did not realise you had!! :)
Next post will, God willing, show the assembled card.


5 comments:

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

Thank you for your idea to avoid the line as it comes out of the Cuttlebug. I shall try that one, having only just got my machine.

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Dear Maggie, thank you so much for this, and for becoming a follower :) - it is so encouraging to know someone way over there in the UK is watching and reading your ideas. I have been blessed so much by others ideas helping me and I really am only new to the bug too as only bought mine in March this year. One thing I meant to write that the folder is placed horizontally across the cuttlebug so it is fed through across the length of the folder not the long way through the bug. Going to add that as it may not have been obvious. God bless,
Shaz.x

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

Hi Shaz in Oz, Thanks so much for becoming a follower. Like you, I find it so encouraging that others out there are watching what we do and liking so of what we do. If there is something to help others that is great. In addition to playiung with my new bug, I am also doing battle at the moment with my rather older Silhouette, which has been refusing to cut anything but the thinnest of papers, and not doing that well either. Shaz Silverwolf helped me to sort that out at the weekend - it came down to a piece of software missing. I had loaded the program but forgot to load the 64bit driver. Now I am cooking (as well as cutting) most things I want. I am also desperate to find time to play with my new Clarity stamps, brayer and Big and Juicys from Barbara Grey. There are not enough hours in the day!!! So many ideas and not enough time to try them all in one day.Enjoy your summer out there,
Love Maggie

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Never heard of the silhouette machine Maggie, so guessing what you mean... must Google it! :)
Me - I have been so flat out no cards since the visitors arrived almost two weeks ago but hope to get into it soon!
The weather here just bee-you-tea-ful at the present 17 to 25C today, I love good Spring days here. I walked down to my spot this evening and saw the evening light over the waters.. love it, God's world is so restful when take time to enjoy it..only ten mins down and back, cant beat it so I was only away 20mins and could squeeze that much in!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...