Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Wednesday 27 April 2011

WOYWW - What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday 99

Well, another big BLINK!! and here we are ready for another mid week blog hop on WOYWW, starting over at our hostess’ Julia’s blog for link up at to all the wonderfully inspiring desks around the world... Come and join in the fun at Julia's Stamping Ground!

As you can see my desk is littered with the Illuminated Bible text I am working on! For those of you struggling to read what it says, it is a very beautiful and meaningful verse from: 

Ephesians 4 vs 32
Be ye kind one to another,
tenderhearted, forgiving one another,
even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Some progress has been made, thankfully design or layout is sorted.. but a long way to go! I can’t wait till have finished inking it in and then the fun part of laying colours down. This can also be very tedious but really life is full of that and you just press on. To make it more interesting this has a deadline of our Mother's day which is May 8th, and I have come down with a cough and cold!! Never a dull moment here! All more reason to pray; so all prayers for skill, strength and wisdom gratefully appreciated folks..

Here a few cards I have made this week as break from brain strain of text work, plus felt had to do another one for Fat Cats. I actually read Neil's post and thought of using this stamp ( for Neil's post link see here ). However I dont have his lovely Impressionist/Expressionist style, and so it took on its own shape. The Damask Duck is stamped on white card in black pigment ink, clear embossed then coloured with mixture of Caran D'Ache watercolour pencils and Pearlex watercolours for that shimmery sheen (you can see my Pearlex above right of desk with my piece of calligraphy - very small paintbox but colours that have real punch, I love them!). 
Stamp the same stamp on acetate with black Stazon, allow to dry overnight or heat dry if that sort of acetate.

I actually just used some scrounged acetate I found on boxes of cards and even the few scuff marks did not matter so use what you have don’t rush out and grab some expensive acetate!

Colour back of acetate with Gelly pens for extra depth ( or even Stickles as Neil did below on his post - see below link).
Then attach to original stamp ( I used Glossy Accents after reading this idea on Neil's glorious ideas filled blog see here -but you can also can use brads). Attached to black card which was highlighted linen look stamp from Hero Arts stamped with Versamark pad and embossing powder Iridescent. Cut with Spellbinder Square Scallop die.

Used Script Cuttlebug folder distressed with sanding block for extra dimension and designer papers for layout. I have done it various way just try it out..

 
Another layout was tried also..so play around and have some fun...
Meanwhile I must get back to work on my text and do a bit of blog hopping later when the rest of the world catches up with us over here! 6am UK is 3pm here! Have a Manchester, UK clock (where my family are - to know when to ring them!) on my desktop for all those who wonder how we figure it out..:D

May God bless you day everyone and a very happy WOYWW!
Shaz in oz.x

48 comments:

Elaine Harding said...

Gorgeous cards! It's 3.30 am here - couldn't sleep! Think we're the first! I've got some rellys in Cairns, Mum and sis in Melbourne where I was born, and another sis in Brisbane. Fantastic pic of where you live!

RosA said...

Hi Shaz, Love your latest calligraphy project! That is a lot of painstaking work. I do admire your patience!

okienurse said...

Very nice cards!! I usually sit down to read emails etc before bed (23:24 here) and just saw your post. Thanks for sharing. Vickie aka okienurse

Cathy said...

Stunning calligraphy, wish I could write that neatly! and I love the duck.
Happy WOYWW
Cathy xx

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Beautiful, beautiful calligraphy. I do a little. I don't practice enough to be good at it but I do enjoy using what little I know. I so admire the work of others and yours is outstanding.

Marjo said...

Gorgeous each and everyone! Thanks for the peek and sharing,

Hugs, Marjo #18 Have a great WOYWW

Andria said...

those cards are lovely the ducks are beautiful and your calligraphy stunnin and detailed as ever.
Andria #29

Sarpreet said...

Stunning Calligraphy, gorgeous card, Happy WOYWW 99, Thank you for sharing your desk with us much appreciated it. A great desk.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That calligraphy is incredible. I'm totally impressed. And I like the other card you made, too. As for the time difference, I'm always amazed at this 24 hour lifecycle. To you it is afternoon. To me it is barely midnight. Happy WOYWW. I'm # 16 this week.

Helen said...

Well done on top spot again! Love how your text is coming along, but it's no wonder you need "simple" cards as a break. They are lovely, too.

Shirley Pumpkin said...

Your Calligraphy is beautiful. And I love the duck cards, they look real! great job on them.

Hugs
Shirley Pumpkin #36
www.lookatmycutestuff.blogspot.com

Kezzy said...

Wow your calligraphy project is gorgeous i cant wait to see it finished, and love the duck card its wonderful, i have to admit neils blog has fantastic artwork and inspiration. Hope your cold goes away quickly and that you will start feeling better soon. Kezzy x

Anne said...

Beautiful caligraphy, how gifted you are.
Thanks for sharing
Anne x

HarmonySweetpea said...

Gorgeous cards and your calligraphy is so beautiful. Hope you are having a fab day Shaz xo

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Your calligraphy work is beautiful! :) Have a wonderful Wednesday. Tammy

Spyder said...

Very lovely cards and super writing
Happy WOYWW

((Lyn))

Angie said...

You script is stunning ....what patience and skill.
That card is wonderful too.

Ciara said...

Your calligraphy is just amazing, you have a real talent Shaz. Loving the ducks, reminds me of the ones I've been seeing on a few walks here recently and many of them have ducklings too - so fluffy & cute!

I do hope you feel better soon, xxx

Neet said...

Lovely cards, beautiful calligraphy - what more could I want to see. Congrats on being no 1 again this week. Hugs Neet #10

Belinda Basson said...

I love how this is coming along!

Neil said...

Hi Shaz. Fabulous card! Love the ducks and how you've used the acetate. Thrilled that you were inspired by my technique ! Have a blessed day.

Angelfish said...

Ooh top spot for you this week:) That's a beautiful verse and will no doubt be a beautiful illumination. Look forward to seeing the completed work.
Fiona x

Sarah said...

Family cards always spring up on you! Calligraphy looks great. I live in the UK but I seem to be keeping your hours - blogging in the wee hours!

Thanks for the peek!

Sarah at 8

Julia Dunnit said...

Oh how beautiful Shaz. Having a cough is not a good thing for this sort of work..hope you feel better very quickly. Frankly, the deadline is just too close if you ask me!!

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

Number 1 again! Well done. Love those ducks, they are so pretty. I am still in awe of your calligraphy.

Kathleen said...

Hi Shaz, Beautiful calligraphy please share when finished I would love to see the finished illumination.
Kathleen x

Glenda said...

well look at you, miss #1 this week! Love your workdesk this week and that calligraphy piece is going to be so wonderful when it is finished! Can't wait to see it! Love the card with the duck!

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Shaz, congrats on being Number 1! Love your pieces this week, and your post answered a question for me too, how cool is that. My Brother emigrated to Australia a little over a year ago, with his wife & daughter. I was having a conversation on the phone with my Mom last week, she was saying she had spoken to her Granddaughter on the phone the previous week, when it was Mothers Day over here, and that Aleesha had said it was not Mothers Day over there. I said it must fall on a different date, I would find out & tell her. Thanks to your post I can tell her! I adore your take on the Ducks, that is a truly lovely stamp. Hope you shake off your couhgh & cold quickly, Shaz #76 xxx

sandra de said...

Beautiful cards and the calligraphy leaves me in awe. Beautiful verse.

Alicia.R. said...

Hi Shaz
Your cards and calligraphy are beautiful. Thank you for the inspiration.
Happy Creating
Alicia.R.

Cauliflower Cupcake said...

Oh wow that calligraphy is so amazing - such a talent. The cards you've done also are stunning (I don't know how you find all the energy for it)
Hope you get well soon.
rebecca (38) x

voodoo vixen said...

Hi Shaz, I am always in total awe when I look at your calligraphy, you have such an amazing skill and so much patience! Love the ducks, they look stunning and I will go see the link even though I know I won't use the technique as mine would not turn out like yours!! Annette #5

Hettie said...

You are quick off the mark today!
Sorry you have a cold/cough! It is amazing how they can catch you out! Not great when you need a steady hand on the tiller!
Because of you I bought the ducks and birdies stamps the other day, but not used them quite yet.
Loving that calligraphy - you really do have patience!
Well done. Get well soon.
Hettie

Anonymous said...

Lovely to see your process for the calligraphy Shaz, how long from start to finish for a piece like that? Great cards too, loved those stamps when you showed them the other week. The holiday was absolutely amazing, last night my hubby said he's ready to go back! I have to say I'll be right there with him!

Hugs
Brenda

SueH said...

You must have the patience of a saint to work on something so intricate Shaz.
Your work is absolutely beautiful and I’m sure your mum is going to be thrilled with it.

Beautiful duck card too.
Happy Crafting!
Sue
x

Elizabeth said...

Hi Shaz, I'm back this week and will be trying to catch up for the next few days, no doubt. Love your cards and the acetate technique - great tip with glossy accents from Neil too - his canvas is beautiful too. My husband is from Manchester and still has family living in and around the city. I met him whilst at uni there - otherwise our paths might never have crossed:) Take care, Elizabeth x #108

Dragon said...

Hope you buck up... You are making good progress with the text, and the cards are lovely
Frankie
xx

Ohhh Snap said...

The calligraphy project is really coming along! Love the ducks card. TFS! #45

Sue said...

Hi ya hun
wow your calligraphy is stunning, beautiful work, gorgeous card, happy WOYWW, sue,x

Darcy Marshall said...

wow such beautiful text, i have tried over the years but i am just not neat enough.

Terry said...

Love your duck cards! And your writing is gorgeous.

Hugs,

Terry #133 (giving blog candy on Friday)

Tertia said...

That Calligraphy project is looking great. Prayers for very quick healing coming your way.
Winter has welll and truly started here in South Africa. What ever happened to Autumn nobody knows.

:)) ...Вика said...

Hello, Shaz!
Very great verse. And so the card.
I also try to make cards with Bible sense.
Very like your works. May God bless you so much!!
Vika.

lisa said...

Your calligraphy is stunning, Shaz. I never realised you did it all in pencil first. What patience you must have.
Love the ducks on your card.
We are the other side of the Pennines to Manchester but it's been stunning weather here. It must seem strange to have to cope with different times and different seansons from your family.
Hugs Lisax

Clare said...

Wow! That is just amazing! When ever I tried calligraphy when I was younger I used to get ink everywhere! I was never very good! Thanks for sharing, love, Clare #104

Mrs A. said...

Love your Duck card. Is it a Crafty Individuals stamp? No desk from me this week as knee deep in cable and pipe problems and Monkey has gone AWOL.
Hugs Mrs A.

Samantha Ball - aka (Craftychick74) said...

Sorry to be getting around so very late!

Your calligraphy is devine. Definitely worth the time it has taken you. I did give it a try in the past and I can tell you the results were worlds apart from your work!!

Happy WOYWW on Sunday!!
Sam xx # 77

craftychickcards@blogspot.com

The Crafty Elf said...

This is just wonderful. A true work of art. TFS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...