Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Wednesday 20 April 2011

What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday 98

 
Well here we are ready for another mid week blog hop, starting over at our hostess’ Julia’s blog for link up at to all the wonderfully inspiring desks around the world... Come and join in the fun at Julia's Stamping Ground!

Today my desk shows the beginnings of the long hard haul of designing an Illuminated Text layout (for those thinking it is book it is not.. some comments below say this - it like the one at the top of my blog; it is hanging illuminated work). It is rather a laborious and arduous task which involves a lot of head scratching, brow furrowing, praying for wisdom, and rubbing out as I change it yet again for the umpteenth time. Here I am working on the tracing paper which I use, as it messes up good paper big time to work straight on it.
 I always feel greatly relieved when this stage is over, and really is half the time of a fifty hour text.
I have done a few cards which were requests so will show you these also.
The first one was started on my post last week with the lovely Leaves & Butterflies K Kingdom Embossing folder 129 from Fat Cats Card Corner which I have extended using my extended method to double the length ( see here or sidebar labels if you don’t know how to do this). It has small embossed butterflies on it Marianne Creatables Cutting Dies Butterflies (just brilliant, these dies!) cut with the pre-coloured card; also the border with Martha Stewart Blossom Eyelet Deep Edger Border Punch. Butterflies were added where they were on the embossing folder, adorned with mini pearls.
If you check last weeks post you can see how I coloured the card with Glimmer Mists. Labels 4 Nestabilities were used for the greeting.
A button was made with turquoise coloured card with Epiphany Button Studio Round 14mm and attached to ribbon.
 I really was excited after making this card. My friend wanted a Kookaburra card for her beloved. I had no resources of Kookaburra images, so I “Googled” and found this terrific image. It fitted (sort of with a little help) a Nesties circle die and I cut it outside the Image (see excellent Tutorial at Tickled Pink Stamps on doing this
 I had cut an extra picture which used also to give a 3D effect by layering on top of the first image.
I used the Nestie Scallop and Branches Cuttlebug folder and some Stampin Up DP card for the layout. I love my Epiphany Button Studio Round 14mm, which was used on DP paper and attached to ribbon. 
My friend’s tears at seeing the card and reading the poem inside were a great joy and reward for the time taken. God is very good!
 
The last card was for a very dear lady’s 80th birthday which her Grandaughter asked me to make. I used my Brocade folder again and the Elusive Images stamp. I love the combo and used my new pencils Caran D’Ache watercolours and loved the effect on the watercolour paper - the colours were so vibrant!! Now off to peek at a few desks and must get back to the hard slog of doing my text layout!

Thanks so much for popping over and may God bless you over this Easter time, when we remember the  gift of the Son of God, Who came died for our sins and was raised again on that first Easter day, “Lo! He is not here! He is risen!”

Shaz in Oz.x

40 comments:

Neet said...

First of all, congratulations on being the first this week. Love your illuminated text - look forward to seeing it when completed. Beautiful cards and what a fabulous Kookaburra image you found. Now you have me singing that song we used to sin in Girl Guides - Kookaburra sits on an old gum tree ....
Happy WOYWW and God Bless for Easter.
Hugs
Neet x

Nicky said...

Wow seeing how you create your illuninated text, Great cards never heard of the Epiphany Button Studio Round 14mm but love the buttons you have made - Happy Wednesday and Happy Easter x

Dragon said...

Conrats on pole position... Can't believe it runs away with you as you wait to link!!!! I finished up unlucky for some 13!!!!!! Lovin your cards and in awe of your calligraphy project... Looking forward to seeing it when finished
Frankie
xx

Elaine Harding said...

Wow - that is beautiful I've always wanted to try my hand at that, got as far as getting some nibs.....:( pipe dream!

Eileen said...

Happy Easter Shaz.... Karen and I,along with our husbands and the 'puppies' are going away for a few days in our Caravans ...the men clear off to take photographs and walk the dogs and Karen and I make cards! We take loads of stash! I need to catch up with your posts .... I have had a quick look but want to take my time....some interesting and useful stuff here! I have 'iridescent' medium! not used it much ...YET!....so, love and best wishes to you and I will be back very soon ....after we have unloaded !!! xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh my, your text is looking beautiful! Your cards are awesome as usual. Happy Easter to you as well, and thank you for posting that beautiful sentiment about our Lord.

Tertia said...

Lovely cards you have made. Love the bird.
I dabble a bit in Calligraphy (school certificates and such) but I am in awe of your amazing talent. It must take for EVER to finish such works of art.
Tertia 27

okienurse said...

Beautiful cards! My daughter does illumination and it is always so beautiful. I look forward to seeing your book completed. Thanks for sharing Vickie #28

Helen said...

Whoo, top spot! Love your cards, and the illuminated text sounds hard work but will be so worth it. Look forward to seeing it's progress.

akilli melek said...

such pretty cards, but my fav is the butterfly one
have a great wednesday
caroline #34

Karen said...

Shaz your text is looking beautiful, you have such talent :) Love those gorgeous cards too!
Have a lovely WOYWW,
Karen #41

Julia Dunnit said...

Illuminated text - my word Shaz..you know how to set yourself a job! it will be marvellous, show us it progresses won't you..I tip my hat to your skill and patience.

Sarah said...

Stunning cards - love the butterfly one esp!!!

Thanks for sharing

Hugs Sarah x x x

karen said...

All of your cards are beautiful! Great image you found of the Kookaburra, probably not an image that many (any!) people would have on hand!
The calligraphy is looking gorgeous too! You must have a lot of patience! But the reward at the end would be worth it I am sure!
Happy WOYWW!
xoxo Karen #43

HarmonySweetpea said...

Love the cute butterfly card. But then again I love all your cards. Have a fabulous Easter weekend xo

Debbie H said...

Fabulous writing!! I'd love to be able to do something like that! Debbie H #60

Louise said...

Lots of pretty things this week. I attempted to turn my hand to caligraphy when I was younger and although I really liked doing it, I'm not sure it really liked me. (I sucked haha). Yours is just beautiful :)
Thanks for sharing

Holly

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're officially Number 1 Shaz!! Good to see you again my friend. I missed last week due to being super busy, but I'm back again! Good luck with the illuminated text. I'd love to see it when it's finished!!

Franka Benjaminsen said...

Great Calligrafy text you've made. It takes a lot of time, that's for sure. But I am curious how your book looks like when it's finished.
Lovely cards. Specially the one with the butterflies.
xFranka

Cauliflower Cupcake said...

Congratulations on being no. 1 this week Shaz -how did you manage that? I love all your cards they're beautiful!I love the Martha Stewart border edge punch so much - I'm going to have to get myself one. How lovely that your friend was moved to tears - as you say it makes it so worthwhile when you know it's appreciated!
Happy WOYWW and of course a very Happy Easter to you too!
Hugs
Rebecca xxxx (44)

Berry said...

Lovely creations here Shaz and well done on being number 1! Happy WOYWW hugs Rebekah xx (65)

voodoo vixen said...

Oh my, you really do have lots of patience and talent to be able to do that!! Your cards are gorgeous and the kookaburra one is my fav, I must get my nesties out and see what they can do!!

Lisa said...

Gorgeous cards!
Happy Easter from Lisa
#69

Angie said...

Wow that is a labour of love and will be stunning when finished. Great cards ..all a litle different ...love them all.

sandra de said...

Congrats on number 1 and extra congrats for being able to manage that in a different time zone. Love your cards and your calligraphy is stunning.

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

Wow, NO 1 this week, well done. I love your calligraphy, it is so beautiful and takes so much care to produce an heirloom like that.
Happy Easter.

Chrissy said...

Your work is beautiful.
Chrissy #93

Angelfish said...

That illuminated text is going to be awesome:) You've got me singing the kookaburra song!
Fiona x

Hettie said...

Wow! I do hope you will show us the finished article. Well done you.

Hettie said...

Wow! I hope you are going to show us this when you have finished it. Your cards are lovely too!

Anne said...

hi there your text is beautiful as are your cards. Look forward to seeing the text finished. Wishing you a joyous Easter. Anne x

Sunshine Girl said...

Love your cards and your illuminated text is beautiful - I cant wait to see it finished - very time consuming!

Glenda said...

So much skill and patience! Let us see your progress on this beautiful text! Sorry I missed you yesterday...life got in the way and I wasn't able to play WOYWW! I'm totally addicted to that!

HeARTworks said...

Hi Shaz, I gave up on calligraphy because I thought you use a calligraphy pen and do it straight on paper. Patsy from
HeARTworks

Di said...

Hi Shaz - some serious work going on here! Hope you're having a good Easter. Di x #79

Mrs A. said...

Thanks so much for the links to your extended embosing tip and how to go outside the nestie. So simple when you know how. Hugs Mrs A. #59

peggy aplSEEDS said...

that looks like painstaking work but i'm sure the results will be awesome. good thing you can take a break and do some of the lovely cards you have here. a blessed Easter to you!
hugs,
peggy
peggy aplSEEDS

Ohhh Snap said...

Beautiful cards, and your illuminated works are stunning, looks like this one will be too. TFS :D

Spyder said...

Had to pop down to see the 'beginning' of your 'writing' and more fabulous cards, very late happy woyww (I'm not at home so that's my very good excuse!)
(Lyn)

MaryH said...

Just love this gorgeous pink creation with the flower insert. I have this die(or EF folder...not sure which is the correct term), and it is a beautiful one. I like what you did with it here, and the coloring on your flower & also the 'bird' above it...well, it's awesome. TFSharing such lovely art.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...