Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Wednesday 7 September 2011

WOYWW What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday 118

Another week and another WOYWW or for the initiated it is What is On Your Workdesk Wednesday – where, if we chose, we may have a privileged peek at some clever & interesting desks from all around the globe, so tis a time of learning and fun! It is most kindly hosted each week by our Julia of Julia's Stamping Ground!

Nothing really much happening today as had cleaned all my craft items up so could double mount my bookmarks for my Calligraphy class last night.
For those who did not see it some weeks back when I started the class, I am teaching this term calligraphy to six students (of about 14 years) at our church school. On my desk are five of the six bookmarks which I mounted up last night – you can see my roller cutter in the top back, with coloured card stack and measuring tools. This, Julia, is how I cut it straight – I rule a line duly measured!! Generally get it right.  :D

Oh and for the very observant among you who only see five bookmarks and I have 6 students one student is doing the colouring again as I rubbed it out, he had not listened to instructions– am I mean or what?

Top left are homework sheets to mark and these are going really well. This is a good class even if the teacher is a tad frazzled at the end of each class!

You can also see my ATG gun which was refilled yesterday so I could use it for the book marks. Does anyone struggle each time they refill these things? this time the opening section was jammed and needed a screwdriver to lift it up and out plus watch the video again just to make sure I threaded it right. So good when it works but painful when it does not like a computer.
Now the other things at front of desk and pictured here at right are two examples done with Chrissie's method - on Less is More (link here). I will make into cards but probably not for the challenge, as too much on at present. The one on the right has acetate on it stuck on with glossy accents and one on left is stamped with Sepia Archival ink when molten - multiple layers of Versamark and Embossing Powder.
For those who like my calligraphy there is a new post here and some cards I made this week here.
Well, thanks for looking and happy WOYWW every one, and may God bless your day where ever you may be.
Shaz in oz.x


Here is a closer view of bookmarks for those who would like it.


26 comments:

Belinda Basson said...

No you are not mean! Listening is an art, maybe he will get it right this time! I have scrolled down and saw your cards and calligraphy, I particularly like the red card background done with the cuttlebug folder. I have not seen that here...

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

great bookmarks.. must be a fun but strict class! LOL

Happy Woywwing
Jennie #14

Neet said...

Glad your class is going well - lovely bookmarks.
Yes, trouble every time I try to load my ATG gun - at the moment it is trouble and someone who knows loaded it for me. Ah well! Thanks for sharing - Hugs, Neet #4

Twiglet said...

I bet your calligraphy workshop is fun. Your cards look amazing.

Neet said...

Hi Shaz - can't find your email addie - wanted to tell you Ann wrote to me (not bad at nearly 90 to write a three page letter) and said how she loved your card and it had been stood up ("sits in sole splendour") since receiving it and she is hoping to get more when the big day arrives.
Thank you so much. Hugs, neet

jude said...

The book marks look fab!
Im pleased im not the only one having problems refilling the gun.Sometimes get so annoyed give to hubby to do and yes does it first time!
Have fab week
hugs and happy woyww
judex 6

Helen said...

Mean indeed - but don't they say, treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen?! Love what they've done so far. And, having scrolled through a few posts, love that Christmas card with the igloo!!

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Wow, that's the neatest handwriting I've ever seen teenagers produce - congratulations!!! And I would have been mean to the guy who didn't listen too - that used to drive me NUTS when I was a teaching assistant. You'd explain things really carefully and then some bright spark would say 'Mrs Appleton, what do I have to do..?' usually in a really whiny voice. 'A hundred press-ups' was my reply....
Have a great week :D xx

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

I bet the student wasn't happy with you. :) But that's how we learn. Great bookmarks and tiles!

angelfish said...

How wonderful to be able to share your gift for calligraphy with others and what great results.

Glenda said...

Such a wonderful thing, doing a class for kids! I wish I had learned this art form earlier! I love all you do, so very creative and such beautiful pieces!

Neil said...

Ha ha, strict teachers are always the best ones! Great work by the students. Love the gecko, look forward to seeing what you make! Have a blessed day.

Ohhh Snap said...

Your class is doing very well, those are beautiful bookmarks! And my hat is off to you, I don't think I have the patience to be a teacher. It's funny, I was just struggling to get my ATG loaded with a fresh roll of tape and was nearly stymied by getting it open lol. Then I forgot to put the cap on the new roll lol. So you have at least me for company :D.

The Crafty Elf said...

Are you mean? Nope! How are they to learn if they don't listen? Good for you! I'm snickering at your ATG gun story because I just refilled mine too and you'd think we get it after doing it once or twice. Everytime I change the roll I have to pull out the instructions just to make sure. LOL Thanks for the peek and have a great day!

Julia Dunnit said...

Loads to look at! The bookmarks are lovely, and you aren't mean - learning to listen is part of the lesson after all! ATG loading? Just when you thin kafter the first time trauma, you could never forget how...and then you do. Amaziong that we still think it worth doing each time!

Sunshine Girl said...

Oooh love all the bookmarks - I love my ATG gun although you are right it can be a bit of a faff at times!

lisa said...

Oh, you sound very strict Shaz!!! Still the rest of the class are producing gorgeous work, all credit to you and your teaching skills.
Hope all is good with you.
Hugs Lisax

fairy thoughts said...

The bookmarks look great you obviously taught them well. I love the little lizard, my no.2 daughter is mad for lizards in all shapes and sizes.
thanks for sharing
janet

Hettie said...

Those children are doing so well with their pieces. Lovely.
As to the ATG gun, it does get easier the more you do it but at least it does not need feeding as often as other similar guns. Do you know the threading diagram is on the inside of the cover of the gun?
Happy Hump Day xx

Joyce across the Pond said...

Great Christmas cards.....I'm smiling at you being frazzled with 6 pupils....how about 19 all at different stages (and adult)!! Yes, I remember going home from 2 hours of that absolutely drained.....this was an evening class at our local technical college and my remuneration for each evening some years ago was about £10-£12 which was not enough for so many pupils!! One of these was a man who could write extremely well when he was just doing a quick draft...but come the good sheet of paper and the actual writing of, say, a poem - he fell apart at the seams. I did feel sorry for him because he had some great ideas and had talent but just couldn't deliver.

Elizabeth said...

The book marks are lovely - they are doing well. I like the technique you've used on the toppers - tried it out several times and love the effect. Your framed calligraphy piece in the previous post is lovely, as usual :) Have a great week. Elizabeth x #50

Angie said...

Your students are doing very well ...are you a hard task master? lol. I am glad to hear you have problems refilling your gun ....I had one way back ...got so mad and threw it out when three different people couldn't refill it for me after i had failed. I know it was head strong of me but it sat there taunting me. I was tempted to buy another a few weeks back ... hoping they had improved ...maybe they haven't ???? so I am glad I held off.

Shoshi said...

Your calligraphy is absolutely beautiful, and those bookmarks are gorgeous - sure to be treasured! Hate to point out, though, that "Sarah" means "Princess" in Hebrew - "One who laughs" is "Yitzhak" (Isaac) - the son of promise given to Abraham and Sarah. (My name, Shoshi, short for Shoshannah, means "Lily.")

Mrs A. said...

Yep. That's the first thing I did was count the bookmarks up. I thought it was just me having my accountant head on! Would love to be able to do the fancy lettering. Have a friend who does and even just her envelopes that she sends in the post are a marvel to be held! Hugs Mrs A.

Sarah C. said...

Hi Shaz,
These bookmarks give me very neat memories of learning calligraphy from you. It was one of the blessed education experiences in my life. God Bless you. It is a great thing you are doing...keep on :)

Love in Him,
Sarah

Jocelyn aka JoBear2 said...

Hi Shaz,

How special for the students to have keepsake bookmarks :-) I should like to be in one of your classes to learn how to write properly!

Your cards look so fab - wow - I'm blown away. The turquoise one reminds me of a gemstone - think it's called a topaz (?). And the other card looks like silver! I really love the effect. Wonder if you could use your special talents to make something that looks like a lapis lazuli gemstone? Would be fun to try.

{{hugs}} and blessings
Jocelyn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...