Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Wednesday 16 June 2021

Brushos with Kazelkraft Angry Penguins + Tarnished Foil + WOYWW

Well, everyone I’m back again with another WOYWW, What is On Your Workdesk Wednesday. Over HERE 😁 at Julia's, Queen of Deskland,  there's worldwide desk exploring to be found!

My first desk is the making of a card for a very dear 89 y.o friend called Iris - an iris card!

I had no ideas for her card this year, usually do an iris card. Just before starting, providentially my friend Anne in France sent me a photo of her magnificent Irises and Lupins! I wondered if they’d work? My first idea was dumped because my printer refused to do as planned. 😣 I won’t tell you how many card sheets I wasted in that endeavour! πŸ™πŸ™ Take Two.. a struggle, again because of printer, but eventually  it worked! Yay, so thankful. 

I’d edited the image to print a really light background sheet, then layered up central images in the "Spotlight" technique, for the main focus.
Yay, happy! πŸ˜ƒ the finished card.

Next desk… using the lovely penguin set from our very dear ShazSilverwolf at 2018 crop in Llundudno. I find it strange they’re called Angry penguins because they look like they’ve attitude, more than anger?!! Here are previous cards with Kazelkraft (145) Angry Penguins stamp set. They’re made with the Joseph’s coat of many colours technique. 

This one is totally different, I love how varied uses of stamp set can be. Memento Paris Dusk + DI Frayed Burlap for stamped images, overlaid with Versamark and clear EP to seal it for the watery background.

Watercolour background is brushos - Cobalt, Sandstone, Yellow. Sprinkle lightly on blending mat, spritz vigorously with water, smooch cardstock through colours till happy.

This is a really great ✔️ brusho technique, as the colour doesn't get too intense and if not quite deep enough just repeat or move colours with watery brush around till happy, have a lot more control. 

Technique on Heather Telford's blog

Used the left over colours to paint the penguins, add more if needed. Used white gesso for snow at penguins feet + background stamps Newsprint + Marble by Kaisercraft.

Now the bottom layer on card is 3D SB embossing folder Celtic weave. Used a cereal packet for that, as coloured a lovely mottled sandstone (cardstock = frozen food packet, a heavy duty white card + print seals it on back - see below).

Decided to use
 Tarnished Foil aged look on card base.
Three different types of EP, a chunky EP - Eucalyptus (soft verdigris effect), glitter bronze + WOW Platinum, to tone down bronze.
Added Archival Cobalt ink highlighting EF pattern, reheated so the ink blended into it.
Happy camper. πŸ˜†πŸ˜ Added a string, brad, etc to side. Happy Birthday x 3 layers (Elizabeth Craft).
Nephew's B/D card, done!

**New subscribers or old please join/ rejoin by subscription tab on top sidebar, as Feedburner will not send emails from July 1. 

**Need to select tab for desktop site, to see sidebar and wait for sidebar to load. No idea why it takes so long, sorry.

Well, a few Aussie photos to close.

For the squeamish, a carpet snake is totally harmless, except to rodents, etc.
Snow scenes by family are last Friday on the Northern Tablelands, 150km west to Great Dividing Range, or 90 miles away. A very early snowfall as autumn leaves + snow! Second is of Standing stones (see link) & snow!
Some flowers - zygo cactus in magnificent garden in Qld!
That's it for today.  Hope this finds you well, praying God will richly bless you and those you love, too. Thanks so much for popping over and saying hi, I really appreciate you. 

Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz.x

Thought for the day:

A day with the LORD is a thousand years, and a thousand years as a day...


To our finite, time-limited mind - this so sounds contradictory.

However, God is ETERNAL. 

Time has no beginning or end to Him.

We are the opposite, on earth we are totally time limited (& don’t we know it!).

Some may look at this verse (or verses like it) and use it to prove how wrong (in their minds) and faulty the Bible is. 

However God's ways are NOT our ways. 

We are in a hurry, He is not.

"He is long-suffering, NOT willing that any should perish.."

So, I shouldn't be impatient with God, for His times or ways are never mine.

Any Christ-follower, believer, Christian truly knows that:

 "My times are in Thy Hand..." 


Aren't they the wisest, safest, kindest, most loving Hands of all?

Love You, Lord. 

Linking up with:

1. Word Art Wednesday both cards. http://wordartwednesday.blogspot.com/

2. Snippets Playground - second card, everything was Snippets except card base. http://pixiescraftyworkshop.blogspot.com/2021/06/pixies-snippets-playground-challenge_0376859284.html

3.Simon says Monday Challenge Beautiful blooms Lily card https://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/?p=24123

4. Simon Says Wednesday challenge - create a scene Penguin in snow https://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/simon-says-create-a-scene-2/

5. Seize the birthday Nautical - Penguins card - they do love to live beside the seaside! πŸ˜†πŸ˜‰πŸ˜

23 comments:

wendy said...

Snake and snow got to love Oz. Beautiful artwork and cards Shaz.

Betsy said...

Hello Dear Shaz. What an interesting post. Both cards are lovely but I had to smile at the "Angry Birds." They DO look like they have attitudes. Ha!
The snake! I know you say that they're harmless, but I have an adversion to snakes. Must be from the Garden of Eden and that curse. :-) And snow! It seems strange to think of it snowing in June. We're supposed to be 104F tomorrow and Thursday.
Time is indeed infinite to our LORD. Sometimes I just wish that Jesus would return tomorrow with the world as evil as it is. But I know that He knows what is best for us all.
I'm praying that you have a lovely week and thank you for sharing your beautiful cards and photos with all of us.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Neet said...

Wow, oh Wow! That snow photo framed by the autumn leaves (glorious colour) looks amazing. How wonderful is that! Would make a beautiful Christmas Card. And that snake!! What length is he? Good to know he is harmless to humans.
Well, Shaz, the trouble you went to with the Iris card was well worth it. What a lovely effect you got in the end. The light colour with the spotlight looks fantastic and I do like the colours you have used for mounts.
Then the penguin card - they are adorable aren't they. Another great effect and I will try that Brusho technique - it looks great. I do like the embossed food box behind it - another thing to try. Gosh - you have given me so many ideas, you are quite the inspirational one this morning. Thank you so much.
God be with you my friend
Hugs, Neet 5 xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I can understand your frustration when your printer doesn't work properly. It turned out great in the end, though. And the angry birds have so many beautiful layers, I couldn't help but be impressed. Love the Oz photos, even the snake. Happy WOYWW from # 4.

kiwimeskreations said...

What wonderful cards Shaz - I cannot believe how wonderful they are, and how you are so brave in your experiments to get the 'look' you want! The penguin card is amazing with all the techniques and the final look is stunning.
Loving your Aus photos - as ever. I have had my second Covid vaccination now so I can look at possibly heading to Aus late in the year.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Well, the battle with the printer was worth it, that card is a triumph! I love the idea behind it, you’re very clever with thinking up these things. It shows in the penguin card also, just a little bit different. How amazing to see snow like that, you’d never have said it was Australia in the pic!
Hope you’re keeping well Shaz, sending hugs
LLJ 6 xxx

Christine said...

What a really interesting post, a bit of everything! I was shocked at the snow pictures, just don't imagine snow in Australia.
Love the card, clever use of a cereal box, I use them for ATCs but never thought to use them naked . . . . the embossing sets of the image perfectly.
Love those cacti
Have a blessed week
Christine #24

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Stunning iris card, such great idea print a photo twice and making the spotlight technique! Lovely penguins card with brushos, I have to keep out mine!
I love too using cereal and frozen food packets with kraft cardstock, it has always a beautiful heavy structure! Your here looks great with dry embossing and EPs!!!
Such big snake! Very impressive near a house! Lovely photos as always!!

Lindart said...

Hi Shaz, Great cards, I'm sure they will be well appreciated! I love snakes, and that one is a beauty! We used to have Boa Constrictors growing up, mine was called Oedipus (Eddy), and my brother's was Stonewall Jackson. We were both feared and respected in high school! Lovely photos, I didn't even know it snowed in Australia! Have a great week, Lindart #30

Crafting With Jack said...

Those penguins do look a bit miffed! Beautiful cards and photographs . Do you know the history behind the standing stones? That carpet snake looks awfully big to me! I guess it’s like having a cat to get rid of mice. Angela #18

Shoshi said...

What a lovely post, Shaz. I hardly know where to begin! At the beginning would probably be a good idea! Your Iris card is a real stunner. I know what you mean about the frustration of getting the printer to do what you want. I love the spotlight technique too - it adds real focus to the image. It's absolutely lovely.

As are your penguins! The Brushos technique is great. I haven't used mine for ages. I also have a set of Infusions which have more subtle colours and brown flecks - I love these. I haven't tried that smooshing technique. Great results. The embossing folder background is great. I designed a Zentangle method for drawing that pattern, called "Y-Ful Power." I've just looked up that embossing folder and I must say I'm tempted - there seem to be quite a few Celtic designs there and as you probably remember from some of my projects, I love these designs. I'll look at the Tarnished Foil video in a minute. I love the result you've got. It's great to recycle old food packaging too, isn't it.

Amazing Aussie pics - so strange to see the bright autumn colours against the background of snow, especially just as we are starting our summer! Wrap up warm, Shaz! Very interesting to see the standing stones, too. Just recently I've been looking into ancient megaliths around the world, in the context of Genesis 6 and the Nephilim - fascinating study.

Finally, I so loved your thoughts on the timelessness of God, and I love the 2 Peter quote, one I've often used especially in my Prophecy studies. One of my absolute favourites which states quite clearly that God is outside of our time-space continuum, and essential to understand how the Bible can be so full of prophecies with a 100 percent fulfilment rate - Isa. 46:9-10: Remember the former things of old, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things that are not yet done, saying, "My counsel shall stand, and I will do all My pleasure." Your closing words are so appropriate to my current situation as well. I couldn't agree with you more!

Thank you for your visit, and I'm glad you are enjoying my mammoth jungle attack haha! I have been seriously thinking of transferring to another power company but need to get the current issue sorted first. My MRI scan went well this morning - no problems. No result yet, of course, but I should be getting another appointment at the Breast Unit very soon.

God bless you Shaz, and sending you lots of love and hugs back - have a happy WOYWW,
Shoshi x #8

Helen said...

so glad you got the idea for that beautiful card to work in the end - it is stunning! I've never used my angry penguin stamps on anything except Christmas cards, I don't know why... love the birthday card! I'd love to have snow right now, it's really hot and humid here this week! we are predicted thunderstorms soon; I may go out and stand in it.... Helen #2

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Shaz I always love your card designs and these are no exception. Never had a dealing with a snake but then I wouldn't want to either. Have a lovely creative woyww, Angela x14x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

You did a grand job with that first card Shaz, i'm glad I don't have a printer anymore it always caused me one headache after another especially when the children used up all the ink hee hee.. Love that brusho watercolour card, I always forget about my brusho's. I must check that technique/blog out always good to see how other people use products especially if it spurs me to drag them out again. Happy WoywW, sorry i'm a little late today Hugs Tracey xx

Conniecrafter said...

so frustrating when you waste supplies but your attempt on the first card turned out neat in the end.
Cool background with the penguins and coloring, the embossing really stands out nicely with it!
Wow snow only 90 miles away, so pretty

Sarah Brennan said...

What stunning cards Shaz. The first one was well worth the battle with the printer. Those are definitely penguins with attitude! I must look out that cCeltic embossing folder as I have the same one somewhere. Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah #3

Brenda said...

Wow, glad you persevered with your printer as this is a gorgeous card Sharon! I love how you washed out the background some leaving the center in the gorgeous original colors, really draws the eye in. I know your friend will love it, I know I do! Those birds crack me up, they look like angry birds. lol I love the background with the brusho's. I need to try them that way, maybe I can get softer backgrounds. That Celtic weave background is awesome, great idea to use a cereal box for it! Love the age look on it. Now that's a long snake!!! lol Glad he is harmless and helps keep the rodent population down. Awww, so you can get snow in Aussie! Make the fall trees pop, I'm sure it didn't last long once that sun came out though. Beautiful photo's of the snow though! Beautiful flowers too, I think you are living in the right spot-cooler temps but no snow! lol Hugs and prays dear Sis, to you and those you love. Brenda

Mrs A. said...

Love the colours on your angry birds/penquins. Hugs Mrs A.

Susan Renshaw said...

That first card is lovely and I am very fond of penguins! So they both win with me!
Love the Aussie pics. Amazing variety! That snake must have been pretty big!
Happy WOYWW!
Susan #12

Twiglet said...

Hi Shaz - a bit late calling but I have been sewing for Maxine. I made the paper bag shorts - just shorts with a bit above the waist line - like a bag held together I suppose. Anyway they look Ok - just need to see them on Max no. I love your iris card - isn't it annoying when technology won't obey orders! Well worth persevering. Such amazing Oz pics but not sure about that snake!! Take care and stay safe. I was thinking of posting one of my little needle felted ATC pics to you if you would like one - same address as before I guess? xx Jo

Ankit Ron said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ankit Ron said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anne said...

Isaiah 55:9, such a good verse to remember! I love how you turned my snapshot into a beautiful card! Such talent! Bravo!!! Those irises and lupins are finished now. I love your technique for the penguins too. lovely colour combos, and the embossed panel is superb! Thanks for the inspiration, beautiful photos and Heavenly insight.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...