Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Thursday 11 May 2017

Inspired By Stamping Guest DT - Double Emboss Vellum

{WOYWW post is below this please scroll down. Thank you.}

Hi there, everyone! I am so excited today... my very first post for Inspired by Stamping as their Guest Artist for this month of May.
 I really want to thank Joanna for the honour of being one of her Guest Artists, and for the pleasure of working with her beautiful images + great quality stamp sets.
  My card today uses a technique, new to me, that I’ve called “double embossed vellum”, using two of Joanna’s stamp sets – **Australian Nature 1 and **Fancy Labels 3 Stamp set.
Use heavy weight vellum and dust anti-static embossing powder tool over the vellum. Next is the Versamark inking and heat embossing, with Mini Misti. 
Ink & heat emboss the Fancy Labels 3 stamp set – using the label stamp first. 
With Misti, line up the accurate sentiment placement, inside the label.
From the same Labels set (it has two greetings, which fit in the lovely frame) chose the thanks verse for inside the frame, test right spot with Mini Misti first.
TIP: Ink stamp several times with Versamark on each of stamped image for clear impression -> add gold embossing powder -> heat emboss.
Use Tombow watercolour markers in soft green and lemon, alternating the shades, colour the diamond grid pattern on the lovely frame. With Ranger Multi-matte medium glue put dots on the back of vellum frame. Glue the stamped coloured frame to some scrap white card. This gives a base colour and firmness to the translucent vellum.
Lay the matching die over the image, attach with repositionable tape, die cut in Cuttlebug, through both the vellum and adhered backing cardstock.
Next, after using anti static powder tool, stamp with versamark on same heavy weight vellum the Cooktown orchid image from the Australian Nature 1 set. Heat emboss with Gold Embossing powder.

I haven’t seen quite this way of double embossing that I can recall, but when I saw this image, I thought of doing this technique. I am using artistic license here, as the Australian Cooktown Orchid is a dendrobium variety which is actually purple-pink. However there is an Alba form of the dendrobium orchid, which is white with lime-green touches, so that’s what I chose.
Turning the vellum with orchid image over to the back, with embossing tool and mat start to shade in the flower image to give texture and dimension to the flower. I really do love my images to have texture and dimension.
Use both large and smaller ends of tool, with gentle, even pressure in circular motion to press vellum into image shape on shaping mat. Take care to stay within lines. Vellum looses its translucency with this pressure.
Because it is no longer translucent, the colouring will need to be done on the top. Use Tombow pens (olive green, soft green plus lemon) colour in areas of leaves and flower centres. Then with fine scissors, fussy cut the vellum with Alba form of dendrobium orchid. Take care to trim around outside of gold ink-embossed edge of image, use the ridge of heat embossing for your cutting guide.
I chose a soft green spot designer paper from one of Joanna’s lovely pads to match the colours, inked it around edges for highlight with ink and ink duster.
To assemble - add the frame and orchid in together, lining up for best balance on the frame. Attach the orchid image with 3D clear gel adhesive, as this gives great support. Attach the frame (and attached orchid) with mounting tape2, http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/simon-says-going-dotty/, to the inked base of designer paper.
To finish off the card, simply add some of the very luscious ribbon with a bow from Joanna’s Vintage Floral collection. Ribbons match the pad perfectly; mount all this onto a base soft green cardstock from stash.
I have really enjoyed working with Joanna’s stamps. I’ve been stamping and embossing images since 1990, and these are really great, quality images - such a pleasure to use them. I really do hope this post has been helpful to some fellow crafters out there in blogland! Thanks so much for popping over, and please say hi to let me know you’ve been by!
Shaz in Oz.x 
PS would appreciate it very much if you have time to comment on the GDT post, please.. if able. Thank you.  https://joannamunster.com/2017/05/10/gdt-shaz-in-oz-double-embossed-vellum/
SUPPLIES USED:
Stamps & Die sets:
1. Inspired By Stamping Australian Nature Stamp Set
2. Inspired By Stamping Fancy Labels 3 Stamp set
3. Inspired By Stamping Fancy Labels 3 Dies
Embellishments:
Inspired By Stamping Vintage Floral Paper Pad
Inspired By Stamping Vintage Floral Ribbon Collection

Other Supplies: Embossing anti-static pad, Versamark ink pad, Ranger Gold Fine Embossing Powder, Heavy Weight Vellum, Mini Misti, Tombow Markers, Embossing tool + embossing mat, fine scissors, Cuttlebug, heavy weight 300gsm cardstock for card base. Inkylicious Ink dusters, Memento Bamboo Leaves- small ink pad. Double sided mounting tape, Ranger Multi Matte Medium glue, 3D clear Gel adhesive (under the Vellum 3D orchid flower.)

"But mine eyes are unto thee, O God the Lord: in thee is my trust;.." Psalm 141:8

Linking card over to:
1. Word Art Wednesday - anything goes  http://wordartwednesday.blogspot.com.au/
2. Simon Says Monday challenge "Its a Frame Up" - http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/?p=8961 

24 comments:

loz said...

Congratulations on being a guest designer Shaz. Your card and embossing on vellum is fantastic..loz

Liz said...

Congratulations on your Guest Designer spot. What a stunning card, Shaz, so elegant. Thanks for the tutorial. xx

Plush Possum Studio said...

What a lovely project! And all that detail - !
Rose of Rose's Art Garden

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Wow Shaz, such amazing card!! A lot of work, but surely you enjoyed your work on these gorgous flowers!! The embossing and colours look fabulous!! Great techniques, thanks for sharing your tips!! I have always problem with heat embossing on vellum, because its goes away when I touch the dry embossed flowers after my work. I think that may be my embossing powder that isn't too much good... or I'm not too much talented LOl :)
Congrats for your GD spot, you well deserve it!!

Berina RGA said...

First of all, congratulations on being the guest designer at Inspired By Stamping. Your card is stunning. I love your double embossed vellum technique. It looks so beautiful.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous card. Just realised what time it is! Have a great crafty week and happy woyww, Angela x16x

Betsy said...

Wow! That is so much work and you did an absolutely stunning job of it. I wouldn't even know how to begin.! Congratulations on being a guest designer.
Blessings,
Betsy

sharon said...

Congratulations on being a guest designer for "Inspired by Stamping."
Your card is fabulous!!!! you certainly have a lot of patience :)
I wish that I was as clever as you!.
Have a wonderful week.
hugs
sharon :)

scrappymo! said...

Gorgeous. These are lovely stamps and that die is wonderful. Love the translucent look of your card.

Megan J said...

Hi Shaz, a gorgeous card love the gold embossing and the lovely Aussie Orchid, my mind ticked over when I read Cooktown Orchid and saw the lovely soft shade you chose, at Primary School when learning our floral emblems, I was among the group of students to paint the pretty Pink Cooktown Orchid on our demountable classroom window. Have a wonderful week... Megan

Darlene said...

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for the tips/tricks! Gorgeous! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘Flowers’ challenge at Dies R Us! Please come back again soon!

Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit.

Maura said...

Lovely! The embossed images are beautiful, and you have made everything work beautifully, SHaz! Thanks for joining our Monday Challenge at Simon Says Stamp! Maura

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Cara said...

Congratulations on your guest role. This is absolutely stunning. Totally blew me away. Cara x

Conniecrafter said...

Absolutely Gorgeous, love the gold embossing on the vellum, gives it an elegant feel and your double embossing with the flowers is just lovely, now all I need to do is find where I stored my heat resistant vellum... ugh!
Congrats on the Guest Artist position!
Have a wonderful weekend!

Shoshi said...

Congratulations on becoming a guest designer, Shaz, and what a stunning card - exquisite work with the embossed velum - really delicate and pretty. Thank you for your most encouraging comment - I know the future is in the Lord's hands and I must not allow myself to worry! We all like certainty in our lives, don't we, and having been thrown a bit into limbo has tested my faith a bit recently!! I know all will be well in the end because of Rom. 8:28. So glad you liked my card.

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi #19

Natalie said...

Wow! The double embossing technique is gorgeous. I've not seen this technique in a very long time and forgot how beautiful it can be. The gold embossing really sets it apart! Thanks for sharing with us at Word Art Wednesday this week!! Blessings!

Anne said...

Such a stunning card dear Shaz! Beautifully made, wonderful design. Love it! xx

Mrs A. said...

This really is a very pretty card . I love how you have used the vellum in two different ways. Do hope your feeling better with your back pain. Hugs Mrs A.

Cobnut Crafter said...

Beautiful delicate card - thank you so much for step by step. x

Pia S said...

Learnt some new tricks for vellum in this post, absolutely love how the flower part turned out. Beautiful card!

Kathy Krug said...

I love the vellumn flowers and the gold touches you added. Thanks for sharing it with us at Dies R Us Challenge Blog. We hope to see more of your designs in future challenges.
Kathy DRU DT

Karen Letchworth said...

This is AWESOME, Shaz. Praise God for this wonderful opportunity you've been given. I also had the honor of Guest Designing for Joanna at Inspired By Stamping, and her stamps and dies really are quite lovely. I had a hard time getting my photos exactly how she wanted them, etc., but actually making my cards with her stamps and dies was a lot of fun. I really like them, and I'm sure you also had fun designing with them. You sure did a lovely job! Thanks so much for sharing your art in our challenge at Word Art Wednesday. It's always a blessing to have you play along with us, to fellowship and worship with us, and to share the love of art....but most of all....our love for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, God in human flesh. He loved us enough to die for our sins and give us eternal life. We are SO blessed!
Thanks for playing along, Shaz
Hugs,
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Mandy said...

Gorgeous card Shaz! It's so elegant and pretty & I love the double embossed vellum flowers.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
Mandy xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...