Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Wednesday 26 September 2012

WOYWW + Gumblossoms ~ Snugglepot and Cuddlepie

Ah here we are everyone ~ another Wednesday!
Last one for September, suddenly realised it's three months Christmas - yes, I know some folks dont like mentioning it, but ostriches dont live here! :D
Happy WOYWW everyone!! (WOYWW = What is On your Workdesk, Wednesday?) Do join us peeking/stickybeaking at desks and work spaces around the world! over at Julia's hosting blog - Stamping Ground!! 
Now I wonder how many of you do what I did yesterday?? I was supposed to making my gum blossom card (showed you the stamped images last week from RosA). 
Suddenly I went off on a tangent on another card!
See below! There is the image in the centre - the brayered night scene? 
Well, found it looking through my dies for the proper card. Immediately an idea for it jumped into my head and I was off!! 
Here I am inking the mount card with foam for background to a deeper royal purple to match brayered ink colour. And yes, do work with dear monkeys + WOYWW frame there all the time :D
 I will add the Christmas card in separate post (down below) as I will enter it Dis Snippets challenge and Sarn's  Christmas Card Challenge. Here is my desk no 2! As you can see I finally worked out how to mount the coloured gumblossom image.
Caran D'ache pencils in centre of desk, as well as brads. Am trying to work out which one to use and yet to add greeting it. It is a thank you card to France. The tape is there as always use it when using dies. Need to attach them sometimes when lengthening or shortening die cuts in cutting them.
For those of you who may not know what real gumblossoms look like, here is one that is growing near our church, one of the WA species and is really beautiful. Most are yellow or red flowers, this one is clear pink. 
 I wonder if any are familiar with the story ~ the Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie - these were written by May Gibbs, an Aussie, written in 1930s for children (see more here and here). 
Well, thank so VERY much everyone for popping over for peek and chat (you make my day). May God bless you day wherever you may be.
Shaz in Oz.x 
PS Next week (Tues) is eye surgery so no WOYWW post but will have scheduled posts.
PPS. here are the actual Gumnuts that Sugglepot and Cuddlepie live in:
 A Lemon flowering gum called Bloodwood, at the front of my sister's house.

37 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wow, you are early. I came to tell you I got your package and am in the process of photographing it for my WOYWW post. So, I hope you'll drop by, just as I had also planned to do, but you beat me to the punch.

That card is beautiful. I really like how you painted and framed it. Speaking of frames, why have I not seen that WOYWW frame before? Am I really blind or not observant? OK, please don't answer that (grin)!

True to form, I have never heard of Gumblossoms. They are beautiful and really very dainty and delicate. Thanks for showing us.

BTW, I will hold you in my thoughts for a successful and smooth eye surgery next week.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

GOOD GRIEF!! I forgot to tell you THANK YOU and how sweet of you to send those cards all the way to the US. Your note to me was incredible, too. Thank you beyond belief.

MaryH said...

Enjoyed your post, and the gumblossoms are so lovely. Totally new to me, as were The Adventures. Will check out your links. Your stampscape card was awesome. I liked your S/binder that you used to frame it. Perfection! Love reading your Aussie 'terminology'. So fun. I expect our Southern lingo would sound odd to you. Your pictures of your area are so lovely, and I always enjoy seeing those posts too. Thnks for sharing your part of the world to one who will probably never get the opportunity to visit there. Hugs

Katie said...

Gumblossoms! How pretty! I love your card too :) I'm sure the recipient will love it.

Katie 25

RosA said...

Hi Shaz, I love what you have done with the gumblossom image. It's fabulous! I'm waiting for the horticulturists to invent a miniature WA flowering gum so I could fit one in somewhere. They wouldn't go with the camellias, but that can't be helped :)
RosA # 27

RosA said...

I appear to be No.29 now.

SandeeNC said...

The gum blossoms are beautiful, thanks for sharing that picture. I for one had no idea what they look like, and I'm one that's just in denial that Christmas is around the corner. I don't even think about it until after Halloween! lol waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Maria said...

Love your pretty cards your making, love that spellbinders die...
I never knew you could get pink gum blossoms there so pretty...

Maria #16

Sue from Oregon said...

Oh my...we have the exact same SU Christmas paper on our desks tonight! I will post a project Thursday with that paper too. Love your little critters and your WOYWW easel too.

Bridget Larsen Australia said...

hahah I know the feeling of not finishingn one card and then starting a new one, that is why I have such a huge desk. Those flowers are just awesome, I love baby pink
Bridget #3

Neil said...

Hiya, great looking creative space this week, Looks like you've been having a lot of fun. I think we all go off on a tangent but that's part of the fun. Hope the rest of your week is good too.
Neil #71

Redanne said...

Hi Shaz, your card is just beautiful, love the colours and that real gumblossom is stunning too. The monkeys are so cute! Have a happy WOYWW, Anne x #65

MiniOwner said...

Oh those GBs are beautiful as is your card. Happy Wednesday. :o)
Sue x (MiniOwner #72)

lisa said...

It's always so educational to visit you, Shaz. Gumblossom is definitely a new one on me. It's very pretty though. Like a big pink feather hat!!!
You have some lovely things on your desk. It's funny how many times we start one project and it turns into something else isn't it.
Happy WOYWW
Hugs Lisax #80

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Lovely card, and I'd never seen a gumblossom before, so I've learnt something today! Happy WOYWW! Sharon #79

okienurse said...

great looking desk...very busy and creative looking!! Love the gum blossoms they are so fragile and delicate looking. I don't think we have anything like them here! Have a great week. Vickie #87

Neet said...

Hi Dear Shaz - what an interesting post. Love that picture of the gum blossom, it is very dense isn't it. Such a lot of lovely flower heads.
Great shots of the desks and glad to see dear monkeys are helping out - maybe that is what I need and should get Koala down from his perch to sit on my desk and help me create. Do have your "Special Friend" cards nearby though.
Loved the title of your post and never heard of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie but what delightful names - off to investigate.
Much love
Neet xx #5

Karen said...

Wow those flowers are so gorgeous!!! Love the name too. Your brayered card looks great and your desk is a busy one, the sign of a clever mind!!! Have fun on WOYWW!

Joynana said...

I have never heard of Gumblossoms, but they are so pretty. You have a very busy desk today. Looking forward to the finished projects. #10

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

You really have got the brayering technique well and truly licked. It is beautiful. I always like your posts with all your photos, even if they do turn me a delicate shade of green as we head for a soggy winter again. Sorry it has taken me so long to return your last visit - I have been such a bad blogger this year. To answer your question, the Queen is on each of the stamps on that card - it is just the Queen's head as it appears on all our postage stamps. Hope your surgery goes really well and you are soon back with us all. xx Maggie

Krisha said...

Very nice space and a beautiful card started.
Krisha #40

Twiglet said...

Stunning Gumblossom photo and your card is lovely. That little story book looks fun! Hope the eye surgery goes well. x Jo

Jenny Marples said...

Love those blossoms you have coloured and there appears to be more fun going on at your desk too. Wishing you the very best for your surgery next week. Hugs, Buttons #70

Unknown said...

So fun and pretty! Love this beautiful card and the reds and pinks. Happy WOYWW! Sandy Leigh at #11

Gillian .... said...

The gumblossom is so pretty, and your desk looks a hub of creativity. Hope you have a great week! Happy WOYWW! Gillian #67

JoZart Designs said...

Hi Shaz, Busy as ever I see and your desk is a good spy this week. Love the cards and the gumblossom is amazing, never seen that before! Never heard of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie either but they are soooo cute.
Love jo x

Barb King said...

I've never heard of a gumblossom, it's very pretty! Love the brayed card, I just took a class to learn how to do that with Michelle Zindorf, it was great. Have a fun week, Barb

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Those gum blossoms are so pretty - just like your card - it's so sweet!! And it's always so interesting to find out about other things on WOYWW. I'd never heard of those characters, they're so sweet and so of their time too!! Thanks for the heads-up :D
Hugs, LLJ #59 xx

May said...

O my word those gumblossoms are Beautiful... never seen these before!!Beautiful cards on your desk this week... Have a fun happy week, Hugs May x x x#52

Tamika said...

I'm always starting and stopping maybe I rubbed off on you! But for once I made a plan layouts,cards then whatever else and did it. I will keep you in my prayers in regards to your eye surgery! God Bless!Tamika #34

Cardarian said...

Your desk is full of interesting stuff - the gumblossom card is lovely - I have some relatives in Australia and they brought us the book Snugglepot and Cuddlepie back when my daughter was very small and we just loved that book - I read it to her in English - I guess that is why she speaks English so well! Your Christmas card is also beautiful!
Thank you for sharing!
Lots of hugs,
Cardarian

Neesie said...

Phewph...made it but slightly late Shaz. :D
Your desk looks very busy but beautifully productive.
I did a post earlier this year about Snugglepot and Cuddlepie...I just love their names! ;D
Thanks for visiting me earlier and I hope your weekend is going well.
Happy WOYWW ♥Neesie♥ #7

Morti said...

Hmmm, Snugglepot & Cuddlepie ring a bell, but why I would know them over here, I don't know. Mind you, I read some obscure things (like The Chalet School stories), so I've probably fallen across them in one of my meanderings into an antiquarian bookshop here.

Good luck with the surgery - hope you recover quickly!

Lisa-Jane said...

Despite my travels around Oz, I've never heard of gumblossoms either! Very pretty though.

Eliza said...

I love Snugglepot and Cuddlepie they are my favourites from my childhood memories. Everytime I look at pods and flowering gums I think of them. Thanks for the mrmories and the smile.

Happy crafting, sorry I am running late this week.

Eliza

Hettie said...

Fabulous stuff on your desk last week and beautiful flowers.
Good luck in your op tomorrow xx My dancing teacher had emergency eye surgery last Friday too. xx

Sarn said...

WOW . . .gumblossom is spectacular. Never seen it before. TFS.

Hugs to you xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...