Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Wednesday 9 January 2013

WOYWW, Snippets, Flora and Fauna in Oz!

(Warning - picture heavy post) 
Hullo there again everyone!
Before I go any further I just want to say my thoughts and most of all my prayers are with all who are battling or have suffered in the bushfires still affecting large parts of south eastern Australia. Mercifully we are not affected up here, nor are we quite as hots as others, being blessed by living near the sea. It is not over though so praying for all concerned.
Now to the business end of this post – Wednesday is the highlight of many of our weeks when we go on the biggest blog hop in the world ~ What is On Your Workdesk Wednesday!! 
So without any more ado here is my desk - which really is not my desk today, as everything is all put away just at the moment.. cleaning day an' all! yes, it does happen :D 
I have made two Christmas cards!
Mm, things are moving on here - thankfully no stitches at the moment, last lot out on Tuesday, and foot graft healing okay too. :D for which I am very thankful. So cards in view, plus items used or rejected, in making them. Taken at night hence dark light.. sorry.
Won't detail both cards today - have much to share (sorry, skip if in hurry but mainly pickies)!
The peel offs on card to the left were on an envelope, to match card. So nice, I just had to reuse them. I did not have gold greeting so painted it gold, and cut out in gold the Marianne Designables; also used here. Unfortunately I must remember not to run it through the bug twice, as once is more than enough.

Here are the rest of my pickies of all the goings on here in the locality, during last two weeks!
These are Black Cockatoos and are eating the Macadamia nut kernel- yep! their beaks get through those hard shells and husks. Needless to say there were none left, as there  would be a dozen birds and sometimes more in the tree at dusk each night. (no, not four an twenty black birds - and none baked in pies, thank you :D)

For more on the Black Yellow tail Cockatoos - click here on this link.
They are simply huge birds.

I showed you the Macadamia tree in flower earlier on this post, SEE here. The remains they leave for us to eat, scattered on grass bit spiky to tread on. The husk is the piece in the photo centre, shells lie on either side.
Peewee nesting, second time this year, near my sister's balcony. They chose a very outside branch of gum, to stop predators from attacking them whilst nesting. This Bloodwood gumtree has a mass of gum-flower buds coming on, it is a yellow flower.


Poinciana, partly in our yard, and we love it, such amazing flowers! it has a Fig bird and Noisy Minor nesting there, but bird above in its beautiful shade is neither, not sure what it is? EDIT: been identified a Butcher Bird as we saw it land under the tree!

Well, that is well and truly enough for today (apologies, Julia, for length of post). If any like to see post below have a card and a Chinese Fishing marker washed up years ago on a local beach, so an oriental theme.
God bless your day everyone wherever you may be and thanks so much for popping over for a peek and chat!
Shaz in Oz.x

48 comments:

Neet said...

Hi Shaz

Sorry for the lack of communication, been real busy getting ready for my trip to America (am there now) and now am busy and not got your addie with e. Doh!

Thanks for the lovely photos, I really do enjoy seeing your cards but am fascinated by the birds you are showing us and will definitely follow those links.

Good news re your healing - keep going in this way and it will be over with soon.

Prayers are helping I am sure.

Hugs, Neet xx 10

jill said...

lovely cards, happy woyww, jill#10

Claire said...

i always enjoy your posts and i'm so glad your area's not caught in the terrifying bushfires!!
great cards btw!
Happy WOYWW and have a great week :o)
no. 10

Tertia said...

The cards are great! I was watching the news this morning and those fires are quite scary, hope there is no loss of life. Things can be replaced.
Love the pics.
Happy WOYWW
Tertia #17

Jenny Marples said...

Looks like you are keeping busy/productive as is the wildlife in your garden. Aaaah, blue skies. They are a dim and distant memory from last year!! Happy WOYWW, hugs Jenny #35

Helen said...

Loving the wildlife, and the art too. Hope you continue to recover. Helen, 7

Di said...

A super snippets card Shaz! And great collection of photos too. Good to hear you're away from the fires, I had been wondering.

Happy WOYWW, hugs, Di xx #32

okienurse said...

beautiful cards Shaz and I love those pictures from around your place. Macadamia nuts...yum! Hope you have a great week! Vickie #31

Ustvarjalni utrinki Tamara P. said...

Stunning card and gorgeous photos,
have a nice day
Tamara

Unknown said...

Before we moved back to suburbia we used to live in Tally Valley, Qld on acreage and your pictures brought back lovely memories of the Black Tailed Cockatoos, we had the Red Tailed ones also..........
..magnificent birdies.

Gosh you're in early with the Xmas cards hey?
Cheers,
Elaine #48

Andrea said...

Lovely cards and I always enjoy your post thanks for sharing your local pics too. the birds are amazing not quite the same as here very impressive ! ..have a wonderful week Andrea x

Ann B said...

Lovely cards Sharon, but all my Christmas stuff is packed away for the year now. Thanks for sharing the photos of the wildlife, so different from what I can see in my garden - nothing much on a dank day like today.
Ann B
51

Queenie Jeannie said...

Lovely cards and photos!!! You live in a gorgeous part of the world!

Jeannie #60

Jaki Morris said...

What lovely photos, you are lucky to have such beautiful subjects so close.
Mind you, I do have a woodpecker who visits my garden most mornings and two robins!

Take care
Jakix #76

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Shaz, gorgeous cards. My Christmas crafting stuff is well & truly buried away at the moment. Thanks for your message, indeed, with the exercises they gave me, the shoulder is getting easier. Oddly, its sleeping thats hardest! I found it easier to sleep in the splint, than it is now. Never mind, I'm getting there. Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz #73 xx

JoZart Designs said...

So pleased your leg is healing well... keep going that way! Love you photos of the birds and flowers ... so amazing to me and birds I've never heard of before too.
Love your Christmas cards..... first I've seen for this year!
Love Jo x

Lori said...

Love the cards. Beautiful. I put all my Christmas paper in a box and hope to not see it for months. Made LOTS of Christmas cards in a very little time this year.

Black Cockatoos? I've never seen one. Very pretty!!

I am a friend of Sandee. Hope you get a chance to check out my blog.
Lori #81

Glenda said...

Lovely cards and wonderful photos of the area! Always a joy to come visit!

Cardarian said...

Glad you are healing - I love that you show us the lovely Australian Fauna and Flora - I see you are safe and are not affected by the fires we watch on TV every day! I hope it stays that way!
Have a lovely 2013!
Hugs,
Cardarian

Twiglet said...

I love seeing your flora and fauna! Yes our thoughts go to those who are struggling with the bushfires too. Hope all is well soon. Glad your foot is improving. x Jo

MrsC.x said...

gorgeous pics how you get anything done with a view like that is beyond me!
Happy woyww TFS Mrs.C.xx #28
craftylittlemoos.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Can't believe you've got macadamia nuts growing in your garden, those things cost an arm and a leg over here and the birds get them all at your place!! Doesn't seem right, does it!! Very pretty cards, nice to see you're still making Christmas cards, and very glad to hear that your healing is going well.

Hugs
Brenda 94

Hazel said...

Love the gold Christmas card and way to go with the recycling (a girl after my own heart) - thanks for entering my CHNC challenge 106 - you could also enter this into my new CHNC challenge extra for January - I'd love to see it there too. X

Anonymous said...

Happy WOYWW. So glad that you are ok. Lovey piccies - makes us in cold Pembrokeshire feel there is better weather out there! Ali x #40

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

Glad you are starting to recover from all your surgery. Take your time and enjoy life. Thank you for all your visits today and all your lovely comments. I am ff now to have a go at some ATC's ready for the latest Clarity ATC Challenge. Have a great week. xx Maggie #32

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Great news that the recuperation is going well!! Long may it continue....
Thank you for sharing the lovely pics of the birds and bushes, fab to see them. Those black cockatoos are enormous, aren't they?? I followed the link, so interesting to see them.
The cards ere lovely as well, btw!!
Hugs, LLJ 38 xx

Caro said...

Stunning photos and I love your cards. Thanks for sharing. Caro #46

Elizabeth said...

Hi Shaz, glad to read that you are unaffected by the terrible fires that have been raging in Australia. Alan's cousin lives in Tasmania so we've been a bit concerned about her but relieved to find her home is out of the danger area and in any case she is visiting her son on the mainland and nowhere near the fires. Your cards are, as usual, lovely and I enjoyed the photos too. The white and black bird sheltering in the Poinciana is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Crafty hugs, Elizabeth x #69

Robin said...

Hi Shaz! Thank goodness you have escaped the fires. Your cards are just beautiful! Hope you have the very best week!

Hugs,

Robin #36

lisa said...

Dear Shaz
You sound as though things are healing nicely and thank goodness you have no fires, they look awful and what heat!!!!
I love the piccies of your local wildlife, it's always great to see.
I found my paints this afternoon so keeping my fingers crossed that you turn up your lost items too.
Happy WOYWW
Hugs Lisax #59

SandeeNC said...

Such lovely pictures, would love to have exotic birds like that arouns here, I've only seen white cocktoos, and those are pets! Very sweet birds! Glad to hear that the stitches are out and healing up! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

ria gall said...

Hi Shaz
This is my first time on WOYWW and my first visit to your blog so I hope you don't mind if I have a look round while I am here.
Lovely cards
Ria

fairy thoughts said...

hi shaz, I'm glad to see I am not the only one still making christmas cards, but Oh how I wish I had views like that in mu back garden. . .. fantastic photos thanks for sharing
janet #23

Tamika said...

As always beautiful photography! I love the gold on your card!

voodoo vixen said...

Oh my, what lovely wildlife you have on your doorstep and the trees and flowers... beautiful indeed. So glad you are on the mend but making Christmas cards? Are they belated ones or are you that organised? LOL Annette #37

Anne said...

Lovely cards and photos of nature. Happy WOYWW Anne x #135

Unknown said...

So glad you are not affected by this devastation! Glad you live by the sea! Your card is beautiful! Happy WOYWW! Sandy Leigh #104

Apryl said...

The card is fabulous and I really love the pics of the birds!!

Apryl H #9

April said...

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely pictures. The flowers and wildlife in your neck of the woods is fascinating.
I enjoyed your card as well. :-)
April #136

MaryH said...

Sharon, So happy to hear the healing is going along very well. Such good news & I must say it's so good to hear same. Too many sad things these days. Loved all the pictures. We had Royal Poincianas in Fla. (not in our yard!) and they are such a flamboyantly gorgeous tree. Yours is awesome. And your gold & turquoise card was so pretty. What a great way to recycle the rub-ons, they looked just perfect. Your desk was way too neat...I'll give you some of my clutter! TFS & many hugs. Keep up with the good healing.

jude said...

hiya hunni,
well it's lovely to do catch upim back after illness ,sounds like youve been through the mill hope all healing well .Love the bird piccies .
hugs judex 144

Anne said...

Love the black and yellow card! Thanks for mentioning my blog too....guess I'd better post something on it!!!! It's great to see the wildife you have in your neck of the woods, what a treat! Look after yourself and enjoy getting back into the swing of creating! xx

She Who Doodles said...

the cards are beautiful. i really enjoyed your photos, not the kind of birds we have here in the usa. i love seeing local photos.

Hettie said...

Fabulous photos there Shaz. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Love those local photos too you have such a colourful neighbourhood.
Bless
xx

Amanda said...

Lovely cards, I am pleased your foot is healing and gorgeous photos too. Hugs, Amanda x

Michele's Scrapy Creations said...

I'm sorry to hear about the fires in Australia.. I lived on the other side of world--PA, America.. so we are often face with fires ourselves. Sending many prayers for those affected by it.

Love all those pictures of birds and tree.

love your cards--they are so pretty.

Happy WOYWW!
Michele #127

Unknown said...

Love the look of your cards, very pretty.

scrappymo! said...

So loved the pictures of the birds and the vegetation. You know so much about the various birds and blooms you share with us!
Glad to hear that you are safe from the firess!
Love the cards and will watch for the other posts about them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...