Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Friday 22 February 2013

Brayer with Plastic Wrap, aka Baraba Gray! Oriental Butterfly Swap

 Hullo everyone - well some inky mess here today! Oo YUM!
Quite a few weeks back here, Maggie Silvercrafter, was talking of Barbara Gray's method of Brayer Ink with Cling wrap, and she kindly sent the summary of it to me - so here is my take on it!! I have also found out from Arty Andrea on WOYWW there is Create and Craft TV Classroom which you can watch and here is the post with this method on it:
http://www.createandcraft.tv/in-the-classroom-lesson-10.aspx
You need good quality Gloss card like Glosskote or SU Glossy card, brayer and good brayer alcohol ink eg Adirondack etc (and it does not need perfect brayering as you can see below).
Step 1: I brayered on some Big and Juicy Hydangrea -colours from either end
Step 2: Spritz with tad of Diamond Dust Glimmer mist - not added on Barbara's design.
Step 3: Take a length of cling or plastic wrap, crumple up, uncrumple - spray inside of plastic wrap with light water spray, crinkle again. Then roughly untangle it and stretch it out wet side down. Lay over the shiny brayered card, pressing to desired shape.
Step 4: When happy with pattern leave them aside to dry overnight or however long it takes.
Once inky cardstock underneath is dry, remove plastic cling wrap to reveal the surprise, oooh!

Step 5: Hey presto! all different sorts of sheets some of them I used glimmermist and some did not - and like both. {Frugal me, saved the cling wrap for future use, and have used it again when ran out of the colured card}
Made four  of these the same, for Butterfly Swap with OSA (Oriental Stamp Art).
Here it is made up with some lovely washi paper bought with in Manchester at Paperchase (thanks Neet). Stamped in Ranger Archival Jet black with Art Neko Stamps - Shaft of Grain - this gorgeous, finely detailed stamp is on sale $1! and the Signature Chop, on sale too. Added the three wee butterflies from "Wildflower Sprigs" by Stampendous (clear stamps), with a Spellbinder Butterfly in same card stock, and inked up with black with in embossed die. These were made, and photographed about two weeks ago before event in PS below.
Well, thanks so much everyone for popping over for peek and chat.. and may God bless your day wherever you may be..  Shaz in Oz.x

P.S. For those wondering about that problem tooth it is G.O.N.E, after five infections :)
 I am currently recovering from the troublesome thing. 
Thanks so much for all your prayers. I know it was miracle when was seeing the Dental surgeon one day, and having it out the next with day surgery - usually have to wait months for such things!! God is merciful indeed. 
Thank you SO much, dear kind bloggers in blogland, for your kind thoughts and most of all your prayers.
I would like to enter this card in the following challenges:
Frosted Designs; Be bold. (Bold colours & patterns - Thurs 28/2)
Oldie but a Goodie. Bright colour (Wednesday 5/3)
Alphabet Challenge: Anything with Wings (Friday 1/3)
All Sorts: Things with wings. (Sat 23/2)
Created with Love: Things that Fly. ( Mon 25th)    

34 comments:

Chris Hanselman said...

Adorable cards. Thanks for joining our Things that Fly challenge at Created With Love Challenges

~~Chris

Ustvarjalni utrinki Tamara P. said...

Gorgeous, I love the colours and image. Great design,
have a nice weekend
hugs Tamara

Joyce across the Pond said...

Wonderful cards...don't want to burst your bubble but this technique has been around for ever so long - you can do it with watercolours too....and try throwing some salt on the wet stuff and leave it to dry...that's another way to make lovely backgrounds...your cards are beautiful with the grass and the butterflies...love them....so glad that old tooth is gone...trust you will now 'not look back' (like Lot's wife) from now on and will go from strength to strength. Thanks for the update.

Janice said...

A wonderful description of this technique and a lovely backing sheet for your stamp. Great card, thanks for sharing it with us at an OBAG, Jx

Irene said...

Gorgeous cards Shaz, I love the background.

irene
xxxx

Always with a Sentiment said...

Oh how beautiful and such pretty colours. Stunning design.
Thanks for sharing at Created with Love.
Sandra xxx

brenda said...

Beautiful effect Shaz and love the colours and muted backgrounds wit the cling film.

Hydangrea and Spice were two of my favourite Big and Juicy pads and it's such a shame they stopped making them and as each of mine have dries up U am down to just a couple now.

Very occasionally you can fin some still in stock in stores, but takes an age hunting them down.

Ooops, nearly forgot, thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts
B x

catherine said...

This is great and thanks for joining in with our challenge over at Allsorts this week
x catherine

Mrs.D said...

Shaz, I just love the butterfly cards. So pretty and delicate.
We can no longer get Big and Juicy rainbow pads over here, not sure if they are completely discontinued of whether they have just been withdrawn in UK.
I will have to work on my brayering technique next week when we get home again. It produces such wonderful results when I see others do it, and such awful splodges when I do it.
Love
Chris

Anne said...

Oh your cards are beautiful Shaz. I had just read about someone else using this technique and had no idea what it was. So I have cling film, glossy SU card, a brayer and ink pads so thankyou for introducing me to a new technique that I can go and try without having to go shopping :-) Glad to hear your tooth has been sorted. Love Anne x

Betsy said...

I love the colors in the butterfly cards. Wat a talent you have. :-)
Blessings,
Betsy

Lady Bug Stampers said...

Wow these are stunning. I love your technique and will have to try it. thanks for sharing with us at Created with love challenges.
Linda K.

Scrappin Mama said...

I love this the butterfly is awesome and I love that technique. May have to try this.. Thanks for joining us at Created With Love Challenges
Lisa O

craftin-dawn said...

Gorgeous, love the technique! Thanks for joining us this week at Created With Love Challenges for our Things that Fly Challenge!
DawnD

paper fun said...

How beautiful and what a great technique. I will have to try is sometime.

Thanks for joining us at Alphabet Challenge Blog.

Mari

Neet said...

Those are fabulous Shaz. Not being a tv watcher I had not seen this technique before but will give it a try now. Love the backing paper (smile) - happy memories of our time together.
Take care y friend
Love
Neet xx

Craftychris said...

Absolutely stunning cards and I love that technique - will be having a go at that - definitely! I am so glad your tooth is sorted now - pain is not good! xx

MaryH said...

Sharon, these are lovely. Maggie sent me the instructions too, and I'm going to try the technique soon. I'm glad you made the comment about not needing perfection with brayering!!! So happy to hear the troublesome tooth is history, and that you are feeling so much better. God bless & TFS

Lesley said...

Beautiful cards! Thanks for taking part in the Alphabet's 'Anything With Wings' challenge xx

Sarn said...

BEAUTIFUL results. Thanks for sharing. xxx

Jocelyn aka JoBear2 said...

Oh my goodness Shaz, I love, love, LOVE the effect - it is so gorgeous. Will HAVE to give this a try - I have everything I need - and even though my brayering technique is not very good, I feel confident that I will come up with something that I will be happy with. Thanks so much for sharing this idea :-))

So GLAD that awful tooth is gone and that you were rid of quickly in the end.

Sending {{hugs}} and blessings
Jocelyn

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

Can't remember if I mentioned that you can polish these backgrounds on the glossy card/paper with a piece of kitchen roll/paper towel once it is dry. It really brings the gloss out. Sorry you have not been feeling too well, but hopefully you will soon be back up to full strength. Thank you for your comments on my delayed Friday's Smiles. Have a good week. xx Maggie

Unknown said...

Beautiful cards, Shaz. Love that technique. Thanks for sharing.

Lydia said...

Gorgeous card! Love the colors and the butterfly. Thanks for playing along with us at Frosted Designs!

Unknown said...

The card is beautiful, and I LOVE the way that you created the background effect. I will have to try this. Happy WOYWW!
Janene #26

Belinda Basson said...

Thanks for the step out pics. Glad your tooth is finally sorted! #34

Helen said...

Beautiful cards, Shaz! off to find the desk, now, lol!

okienurse said...

beautiful cards! Thanks for sharing the technique with us! Thanks for sharing. Vickie #39

ria gall said...

some great techniques shared there and wow just look at those lovely backgrounds and finished cards, soooo pretty
Happy WOYWW hope you have a great day
Ria #48

Andrea said...

Hi Shaz pleased you found the site helpful she is amazing what fab cards I love the colours you have used and the final results are stiunning ,adding the mist was a great touch.pleased to hear teh tooth problem is sorted, Happy crafting and have a wonderful week Andrea#45 p.s. Thanks for the mention but wasn't necessary only pleased to have been able to offer a suggestion x

Unknown said...

Very beautiful card...and great technique!
thanks for playing with us at Frosted Designs

Sheree said...

Wow!! What an incredibly beautiful technique! I have that stamp pad and can hardly wait to try this!
Your card turned out beautifully Shaz! The stamps, papers, ink, everything coordinates perfectly.. Well done girlfriend!
Glad to hear you are on the mend. I too have endured horrendous pain with teeth and just cringe at the thought of what you went through.
Glad to see you back!!
Big Hugz,
Sheree

Helen said...

Gorgeous card - love how you've done the inky background!
Thanks for playing at Oldie but a Goodie!
Helen x

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wow- this background is stunning- I love to try different techniques- nothing better than a challenge. The visual step by step is wonderful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...