Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Wednesday 10 September 2014

Butterfly Challenge - Come to the Ugly Bug Ball!

Hullo everyone .. over at the Butterfly Challenge there is another new fortnightly challenge this week. Mrs A. asked me to be Guest Designer again. :D This challenge is in memory of her dear mother. The theme is the Ugly bug ball. To quote Mrs A. :
"One of my childhood memories is of Sunday afternoons. Once the dishes were washed up from lunch Mum would settle down in the lounge and play her records (no such thing as Cd's or cassettes in those days). One of her favourite artists was 'Burl Ives' and I used to sing along to all of the songs. We both loved one  in particular  'The Ugly Bug Ball'. 
(see link above to hear it ... it made me reminisce, indeed!)
This song actually featured in a film with 'Hayley Mills' along with Burl Ives called Summer Magic 1963 and had an animation section of the film that involved all the bugs, bees, butterflies  and flying insects attending the  annual Ball."
To cut a long story short Mrs A. would like to see any type of insect on your project. The more the merrier but one will suffice (bugs,  beetles, bees, butterflies, dragonflies, grass hoppers, wasps, lady birds, etc. ) as long as it has wings it can attend the Ball!
so here is my humble offering ... or two!
This was a real combination card, a baby card. Used Memory Box Nottingham border die, paper pieced it .. (wow! was that tedious, have seen others do it) added bit of bling, the stencil by Kaisercraft, (ink colour and card match better in real life) and added the PB images were embossed, coloured and fussy cut from a "Wonderful Day stamp set" by Penny Black. Corners are filigree by Lala land dies, banner stamp and die by  Stampin' Up.
This extra one was an idea I had .. I love lady beetles but could not find a decent stamp or digi online.. so I cheated! Copied and made my own digi from the Stampin' Up "Bugs and Kisses" set. The greeting is done in Word, and the two wee butterfly were a stamp from and Inkadinkadoo set (97618), added rounded corners, ribbon with triple scoring for a CAS card.
Do flutter over to Mrs A.'s blog and join in this fortnight's Butterfly Challenge!

A very warm welcome to wonderful blogger.. a real newbie...please pop over to their blogs and encourage by joining and commenting on their blogs, Marilyn of Sharing Simple Things and  another Newbie and wonderful Encourager is Jana of Jana's Crafty Escape!
Thanks so much every one for popping over for a peek as chat, may God bless your day wherever you may be!  Shaz in Oz.x

Linking the card up to:


1. Di's Snippety challenge - Used  a number of snippets on card. http://pixiescraftyworkshop.blogspot.com.au/
2..Word Art Wednesday - anything goes    http://wordartwednesday.blogspot.com.au

12 comments:

Mrs A. said...

Thankyou so much for being my Guest Designer for this challenge. I love your cute cards and Thankyou again for finding the video clip for me. Hugs Mrs A.

Di said...

GREAT cards Shaz! I adore those ladybugs :)

Hugs, Di xx

Betsy said...

"To the ball, to the ball, to the Ugly bug ball". Oh I loved that as a little girl too. Just another thing we have in common dear Shaz. Thank you for the link for the missionaries. I will definitely be praying for gem. What a difficult place to be doing he Lord's work in these scary days.
Blessings,
Betsy

Andrea said...

great cards I do love the cute ladybirds and what a fab idea its a great sentiment too perfect .as for the baby card great colour choice and I love the cute bee, well done on teh paper piecing it has given it the wow factor. hugs Andrea x

MaryH said...

Congrats on being chosen at Mrs. A's as a GD. She makes very wise choices! I do remember this Burl Ives song very well, and it's so catchy, that when you hear it, it's hard to get it out of your memory banks for a while. Your card is delightful, with all the ugly bugs and of course my fav little Hedgie. So many techniques, all combined to make a super card for this challenge. Hope I can find some time to play along! TFS & Hugs

Marilyn Mathis said...

What a lovely card with the lady bugs. I love lady bugs they are so cheery looking and you used them so well on the card with the polka dot ribbon. The hedge hog is so cute. We do not have them around here but my grandson wants one when he gets older. A lot of work in that card and it is beautiful. Thanks for the mention of my blog. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

I love both of the cards for ugly bug ball challenge. The story was very precious, she sounded like a sweet lady. Thank you so much for mentioning my blog. I am thrilled and Blessed that our paths has crossed.

Jana

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ginny Maxam said...

Great cards Shaz and I will have to go listen to that sound byte!
I truly enjoyed the memory you shared with us, I felt like I was there!!
Have a wonderful day!
Hugs,
Ginny

Ginny Maxam said...

Great cards Shaz and I will have to go listen to that sound byte!
I truly enjoyed the memory you shared with us, I felt like I was there!!
Have a wonderful day!
Hugs,
Ginny

Jo Ann said...

Wonderful projects and loving that bug card...Simple and neat. So glad you joined us at Word Art Wednesday and hope you'll come back again. Leaving you with God's Word in Psalm 147:11 which tells us, "The LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love." Have a blessed week.

Always,
JO ANN
http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...