Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Wednesday 17 September 2014

WOYWW with Zentangle + Calligraphy

Hullo there every one ... well it is desk day and today we have two desks for the price of one! For those not in the know .. the middle of the week is the world wide blog hop called WOYWW or What is On Your workdesk Wednesday.. pop over to our chief's desk for the link up, at Julia's Stamping Ground!
Desk one, yesterday: Am practising the words am going to put on the "Emily sleeps here" I am making ..these were not the ones ending up using but just doing a test run to see what I like. You can see printed sheet which was on my desk few weeks back, which was my guide.
DESK 2: Here is today's desk, and you can see have carefully hidden the work working on for Emily, as they look at my blog, or mummy does :D
Prismacolor pencils are being used on the image, which I am doing on the "Emily sleeps here", it has been inked in with my favourite ink.. and need to buy some more. It is for good work, Higgin's Eternal Black is the name of the ink for those vaguely interested. Favourite practise ink is Calli ink. You use different inks for different scripts too. I am working on a zentangle card on my desk too lower right and it has vellum flower on it as well.
Completed card with Imaginesce Summer flower clear stamp inked up, zentangles .. or whatever you like to call it! I simply did what I wanted, did not follow any books as found there are books on it .. what next, eh? then fussy cut out and laid on inked base card. This is for an Oriental Stamp Art Monthly Challenge to do zentangles, added a kanji lower right corner which is part of a Artneko daffodil atc stamp.
This a doodle which we called it at school - or a chook/ chicken. I did it when in third year at school. Here it is in my scrap book of those days. We had not ever heard of zentagling, nor the micro pens used for it. I did this  with a mapping pen (the finest one in those days) and India ink.
This is my first piece of calligraphy that I still have - the cover off my school folder, also from same period at school. It was also done with the same mapping pen and India ink. Also did one for each of my two sisters - the letters are 3 inches high. see more on my early calligraphy days here

The photos form Oz today are of our local creek where it rather amuses me most days to see this couple with their water loving dog.
"Okay Fetch, boy, fetch! good boy!" Note stick in dog's mouth, this couple throw the stick to their faithful hound, and yes, they throw it all that way into the water..
Thanks so much every one for popping over for a peek as chat, may God bless your day wherever you may be!  Shaz in Oz.x
Linking the card up to:
1. Di's Snippety challenge - Used  a number of snippets on card. http://pixiescraftyworkshop.blogspot.com.au/
2..Word Art Wednesday - anything goes    http://wordartwednesday.blogspot.com.au

37 comments:

Unknown said...

Your calligraphy is beautiful. That's a craft I always wished I took the time to learn. #17

Helen said...

it's always a treat to see your calligraphy skills! Love the beach shots too! hope Emily enjoys her stay... Helen 11

fairy thoughts said...

See you were ahead of your time even at school and you didn't know it. Love the zentangles card ... I currently doodling with white on black which takes longer because the Sakura pen isn't as fluid... Hey HO
Have a good week
Janet @19

Mrs.D said...

What beautiful calligraphy, yours is always so special, and those Zentangle flowers are so clever. They look as if they have been stamped until examined closely.
Thanks for dropping by my desk,
Chris#4

Unknown said...

I did look up that ink and made note of it. I am not up to using that high quality of ink yet but one day i might. love the water dog photo and commentary! diane #26

Neet said...

Lovely dog on lovely photos Shaz. Thanks.
I cannot get over your cock-a-doodle-doo, he is magnificent. Wouldn't he make a wonderful stamp? Love your flowers and the zentangling is beautiful as is your calligraphy but then I know that.
Take care,
Blessings, Neet xx xx

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Shaz, am always in awe of your calligraphy skills. Liked your comments on zentangling, lol. Like you I used to do the same sort of doodling years ago- back before it became an art form! How odd that that should happen! Beautiful pictures of the creek near you. Thanks for all the good wishes, they really worked! Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz #26 xx

Bridget Larsen said...

Its closer to come to my place for a WOYWW crop than it is to get to Julia's LOL. always love your calligraphy and you started young, so talented. hahah that dog must have been tired after all that swimming.
Bridget #1

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I am loving the Zentangling, I have played at it for years but it didn't have a name (mostly in our staff meetings Lol!) and I am trying to develop my skills now, whenever I have the time LOl!
Thanks for visiting me and happy crafting, Angela x 35

Hazel said...

Beautiful Oz photos, Shaz and lovely crafting too. Your calligraphy is so outstandingly beautiful. Thanks for sharing today. Hope you have a great day and a lovely crafting week to come. Hazel, WOYWW #47 x

Glenda said...

I'm always in awe of your calligraphy! Beautiful work girl! As always I love seeing photos of your world!
Glenda #44

Sarn said...

Happy WOYWW to you Shaz.

FAB works of art here and lovely Oz pictures.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Tertia said...

I just love your calligraphy! Wish I had the patience to practice more. Thank you for your visit.
Happy WOYWW!
Tertia #38

Ustvarjalni utrinki Tamara P. said...

Gorgeous work
and fab fotos
hugs Tamara

Winnie said...

Emily will love her sign when it is done, the lettering is awesome. Love that you saved your doodle from school , he is adorable. That scene with the couple and their dog is lovely and so peaceful! Thanks for the visit! Winnie#36

Unknown said...

WOW! Your name in calligraphy is gorgeous! Love your doodled chick. I have a friend who loves doing Zentangle and even has taught it at our local scrapbook store. And looks like Emily is going to get quite a cool sign! Happy WOYWW!
Carol N #65

Betsy said...

I think you do the most beautiful calligraphy. I have always wanted to learn but have never dedicated myself to actually taking the time needed to do it. So pretty. Love the dog pictures. Our dog doesn't fetch but we love her just the same.
Blessings,
Betsy

Elizabeth said...

Hi Shaz, you've clearly been really busy this week - so much to see on your desks. Your zentangled flowers are beautiful, as is the card. I still have to try doodling like this but you are obviously a past master of the art ... love your chook :) And, as always, your photos in Oz are a delight - the creek is lovely. Have a great week. Elizabeth x #62

PS: On subject of Brushos - these take the form of crystals that explode on contact with water and release the composite colours. I think you could possible replicate the effect with shavings of watercolour pencils - it's certainly worth a try.

Shoshi said...

What a lovely post, Shaz. I have done a bit of calligraphy in the past but never to your standard, and I always found the spacing difficult. I had no idea one used different inks for different kinds! Fascinating to see your very first piece, too. Your Zentangle card is lovely, as is your chicken doodle. As always your photos of Oz are great - it's always nice to see people's stamping ground, especially if it's far away from one's own!

Thank you for your lovely comment, and I'm glad you like my first masterboard. I so agree with you about craft shows. It's always good to see stuff "in the flesh" and you get to see cool demos too! I always spend far too much at them, though! I am looking forward to my parcel of goodies arriving, poss. tomorrow or Friday.

Got a number now! #37.
Happy WOYWW,
Shoshi

Robyn said...

Oh blackletter! I'm thinking of taking a class in pointed pen next month!
Thanks for visiting and your kind words!
Robyn 7

I'm a Little Teapot said...

What a nice blog entry. Loved looking at your projects. Yep, I never knew some of my "doodles" were zentangles, too! LOL

Have a good week!
Hugs, Kathy Jo #41

Heather D. ~ Fresh Brewed Designs said...

WOW!!! So many wonderful things to look at and talk about! Your art is so unique and creative. I loved seeing the calligraphy and the detailed zentangle art. SO SUPER FUN!
Your card is as unique as it is beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your lovely project with us at Word Art Wednesday!

Have a blessed day!

Heather D.
WAWDT

Anne said...

Hello Shaz. Lovely your photo of the creek - wish I was there!!! Your zentangling is lovely - yes I just caled it doodling when I did/do it :-) Lovely card. Anne x #32

Cazzy said...

Hi Shaz, Happy WOYWW!

I wish I had nice handwriting, and it would be lovely to be able to do calligraphy, it looks wonderful.

Cazzy x #66

Chrysalis said...

Hi Shaz - your early art work is amazing! And your dedication these days, to getting things right, really pays off, as your finished work is lovely. Talking of lovely, the creek pics are great, too - what a lovely part of the world. Have a great week, Chris # 29

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Beautiful handwriting! Love the PG monkeys too! I've got one of those somewhere at the bottom of my son's toy box! Zsuzsa #64

Julia Dunnit said...

3" high and your first lettering...good grief,..it looks perfect and it's my experience that the bigger the letters, the worse the Wobblies of the hand and the harder the perspective between letters....
I love your Emily practice sheet, amazing how slight changes are apparent..like the ink colours too! Wow, your desk is fresh and busy for me today!

Lisca said...

Oh I love those zentangled flowers. I have only recently twigged what zentagles are and i find it fascinating. I'm definitely going to have a go at this. But you are a master(ess?)
Lovely to see the photos of the creek.
Thank you for letting me look over you shoulder.
Lisca#45

glitterandglue said...

An incredibly busy desk today, Shaz. So much to look at, link to, and generally dawdle over! Read your link to your post on calligraphy - fascinating. What a delightful reek you live near - that dog must think every day is his birthday, going down there to play!
Thanks for visiting - yes, we had a great time at the show - lots to watch, try out, etc. Sorry you didn't make it for lunch!!!
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #2

Annie said...

Hi. Thanks for visiting me yesterday. I'm afraid to say that up til Christmas my WOYWW visiting has to be done on the Thursday because I have taken on an extra day with my twinnies but I promise I will still be visiting :-)
You've had a busy week too....love the cards and as always I love your photos of Oz.
Hugs,Annie x # 30

Di said...

Beautiful snippets card Shaz! And I hadn't thought that much of what we doodled at school was a form of zentangling!

Hugs, Di xx

Ginny Maxam said...

So Enjoyed reading your post!!your desk looks like total yummyness! It remined me to get my h2o's out! I loved seeing your practice sheets - it was my great desire in my young life to be a calligrapher, I had all the tools and none of the gifts! I was very sad about that until I got a computer in 1995 and it all changed for me! Your Zentangles are lovely! I remember doing those in high school too, and we didn't call them anything but doodles. YOur blog has inspired me to try my hand at them again! Thank too for the beautiful photos of OZ! HUgs, Ginny

Eliza said...

Wow that just took me on a trip back in time with the calligraphy work. I love calligraphy an underestimated art, but something that I really enjoy.

Lovely card too.

Eliza, Yoda & Flat Susan #23
Happy WOYWW

RosA said...

Hi Shaz,
So many things to comment about on your post, so I left you til last, if that makes sense :)
The Higgins black ink rings a bell faintly in the dim recesses of my memory. I can only think that maybe it was something I used a long, long time ago.
And seeing your "SHARON" title of course reminds me of how I used to decorate my (primary) school books. I had a Speedball book with lots of different typefaces which I always traced and then "coloured in" with black ink. (I inevitably chose Ye Olde English Script.) I suspect you will know exactly what I am talking about :)
Oh and the chicken "doodle" could be turned into a hand carved stamp!
As for "Zentangles", well don't get me started ... although I will if you wish :) :)

Debs Willis said...

Lovely desk to share, your calligraphy always wows me. And now zentangle! Love those flowers
We used to cover our schoolbooks in wallpaper, and weren't allowed to write anything other than our name on them - what a way to stifle creativity!
Love your shares
Debs x

Karen Letchworth said...

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing with us. It is always such a blessing.
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Jo Ann said...

What a cute card...Love the effect of the 3 flowers against a plain background. Wonderful! We truly blessed that you joined our Challenge last week and hope you'll join us again here at Word Art Wednesday...I want to leave you with God's Word in Psalm 40:4, "Blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods." Hugs and blessings always!

JO ANN
http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...